Major problem now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't think I'd be typing this any time soon, but I think it's fixed! My wife said it restarted last night when she installed her Photoshop and it asked her to restart the computer to complete the installation. Anyway, this morning I decided I was gonna open up the case to take out a TV card thats in there that we never use. It's the one thing that hasn't been tried, so I thought I may aswell give it a go. So I took it out, then powered up the PC, expecting it to make no difference. But there IS a difference - I have now restarted succesfully 5 times in a row! The most I have ever got to is 3, which was last week. I don't wanna tempt fate but I think all is now well.

The only downside(if you can call it that) is that I don't quite know what exactly has fixed it. I didn't check it this morning before taking out the TV card, so it could be somehow it fixed itself yesterday as my wife said it restarted for her. All I done the night before was install the latest drivers for my 6600GT, and I can't remember exactly but I donn't think it did restart after that. Maybe this TV card is the culprit, I may have to put it back in to check. Fingers crossed this is the end of this problem, I'll come back later to let you know if it rears it's ugly head again or not. :)

OK, throughout the day I had 9 succesful restarts, and I thought 10 would surely 'seal the deal'. Wasn't to be though, and the last 2 times it has hung on the black screen like it used to. Now I don't know f this is coincidence or not but all the succesful restarts today were done with the case OFF. Now I have it on, it doesn't wanna play ball. Am I now looking at a heating issue? I actually downloaded Speedfan earlier today as it happens - here are my current temps:-

Temp 1: 41C
Temp 2: 33C
Local: 31C
Remote: 21C
HD0: 40C

Now I'm not sure exactly which temps correspond to which components but earlier today Local and Remote were substancially higher than that. My soundcard was directly underneath my Graphics card, which I thought wasn't allowing it to cool properly so I moved the soundcard down a couple of slots after taking out the TV card and Local and Remote are now really low. So it seems they were to do with the graphics card getting hot.

So are the other temps possibly too high? Maybe that explains why Ihave to power off the computer for a few seconds to restart.

Heyyo,

Those temps are fine. If they start to rise above 50ºC then start to worry, if above 60ºC start thinking of better colling.. if above 70ºC? panic, something might be frying or close to frying.

Are you overclocking your computer ? to me it seem's that it's not the video card if the same issue is occuring with both gpu's.Could you post your system specs..there could be some support issues. What was the last major change you had made to your computer before this started happening ?I'm just trying to stir up questions that could lead to an answer

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

Those temps are fine. If they start to rise above 50ºC then start to worry, if above 60ºC start thinking of better colling.. if above 70ºC? panic, something might be frying or close to frying.

I haven't really put the system under heavy load with Speedfan as yet, such as heavy gaming sessions or heavy music recording sessions. When I do I'll keep an eye on those temps. The computer has been switched on all day and the temps have pretty much stayed the same. Really appreciate your input. :)

Lintball said:
Are you overclocking your computer ? to me it seem's that it's not the video card if the same issue is occuring with both gpu's.Could you post your system specs..there could be some support issues. What was the last major change you had made to your computer before this started happening? I'm just trying to stir up questions that could lead to an answer

No, not overclocking at all Yeah I tend to think it's something other than the video card or video card slot. If I remember rightly this restart problem started happening a few weeks after we purchased the computer, and we ourselves had made NO hardware changes whatsoever. We downloaded SP2 a few weeks into owning it, but to honest I can't remember whether it ever rebooted with that or not. Here's my specs:-

MSI MS-6741
AMD Athlon 64
1GB RAM
200GB HD
M-Audio Audiophile 192
Leadtek Winfast A660GT TDH 128MB(AGP)
Sony DVD Rom/DVD RW
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

Don't know off the top of my head what make the HD and Ram are but I could find out with Belarc Advisor if you need me to. I'm not giving up hope on finding out what is causing this problem, if it's the last thing I do I'll find out and fix it hehe. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on my specs? Any ideas on conflicts etc? Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread, I'm just extremely frustrated with this problem and hope someone out there can maybe shed some light. This is the final bump, I promise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom