WinXP users info deleted, set to default

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzfan

In Runtime
im on my family pc running winXP, and my sisters stuff has been deleted, she says she logged on and and everythign was back to the default, all th eprograms, data, and files are gone, just like it was freshly installed, i searched this forum and didnt see anything, has this happpend to any one? and can i do a system restore thing?

Please check the event log on the system. Look for an error arround the time she said it happened. It's possible there was a profile problem that caused her to revert to the defualt profile. Also, look in her logon name folder under documents and settings and see if the files are there.

If her profile gets locked, (registry more than likely) the computer can't open the files so it uses a default profile. This is correctable by rebooting in most cases, but if you still have trouble, you can tell the machine which one to use. Although you have to modify several registry keys...

I am having a closely related problem with my xppro system as well. On Friday I tried logging into my account from the welcome screen and it told me that there was no user data. After rebooting I was able to log in, but it was a completely default profile. I was able to find all of my data under the Documents and Settings, but is there anyway for me to delete the temporary profile that it has created and go back to my original profile?

Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted.

The Problem:-When you try to log on to , you receive the following error message:
Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. You may be logged in using a temporary User Profile.

Why does it happen?
It happens if the user profile is corrupted.

Resolution:-
1.Log on as Administrator.
2.Open Control Panel,click User Accounts and Create a new Account.
3.Restart the machine.
4.Now log on with another User Account (other than what you have just created).
5.Open Windows Explorer, click Tools>Folder Options>View tab>Show hidden files and folders>click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
6.Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder.
7.Copy all the files except:-Ntuser.dat;Ntuser.dat.log;Ntuser.ini
8.Now locate the newly created user account,which is located at C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder.
9.Paste the files here which you have copied earlier from the Old User Account.
10.You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile.

Thanks for all of the help. I was actually able to go through the regedit and change the destination folder for the login. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->SOFTWARE ->Microsoft ->Windows NT ->Current Version ->Profile List. Find which folder has your user name in it and change the ProfileImagePath back to your old user name. Make sure you do this while logged in as another user. Restart your computer and wham, you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom