Dead VGA, Mobo??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I have a computer that I just finished building in June. On Tuesday night I was browsing the net and all of the sudden my computer just shut down(didn't restart itself, just shut down). I pressed the Power button to start it back up and it seemed to start up fine(LEDS, fans, etc. all powered up.)......but nothing showed up on my screen. All I see on the screen is different colored boxes and such. It will change every 5-10 seconds to different sized "boxes" and that's it. I tried at different monitor.....same results(boxes on screen). I now believe that I have a Video card or mobo problem. I never made any changes to my computer hardware or operating system before the shutdown either. So I'm pretty sure that it's not a driver/compatibility issue. Anybody know how I can narrow down what the problem is??? Any help is appreciated.

Here's my specs
Asus P5GD1 mobo
Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HT LGA 775
MSI NX6800GT 256 MB PCI-E(Dual DVI and S-Video)
Corsair Valu Select RAM 2 MB
120 GB Seagate Hard Drive
Plextor DVD-R/RW
LG DVD-ROM

Yes swap the vid card. One of my own personal experiences a while back is kinda like this, well sorta.

Something was up with my cpu, it booted fine and ran everything fine. But the second i tried running something that was direct3d, like a game, screensaver whatever, The images on the screen would majorly tear and smear and have duplicates n stuff. So i swapped in another cpu, and it was fine.

I cleared my CMOS and now the computer is working fine. All temeratures appear to be normal. I didn't try using a different video card because I don't have another PCI express card that I can use. If I encounter any future problems I'll be posting back.

UPDATE!
--------------

I was surfing the web about 5 minutes ago when the monitor starting showing the "boxes" again. It did that for about 5 seconds and then it restarted itself. The computer is working fine again now(I am using it to post this message). It worked fine for about 2 hours before it restarted itself. I wasn't playing any games at that time just surfing the net. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?? I can't find anywhere in my manual or on MSI's website that says if the video card has a warranty. Can't find anything on my Asus mobo either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom