Convince me not to buy Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

emulcahy

Beta member
I'm looking at the Asus P5WD2 (955 chipset) motherboard
Asus's info site

With a P4 640 LGA 775 2Mb 800fsb (3.2 ghz)
2 gigs of DDR2-667
and a ATI X800 graphics card.

Hard drives, sound, and other peripherals are covered. This system will mainly be a gaming system. I would definitely consider going AMD- all my previous systems have been, but I can't find any setup I like as much. the 64bit processor line is no good for me, as the main applications i use are not 64 bit, and I do not have a 64 bit distro of windows. My pockets are not endless. I would only consider systems that are equally or less expensive with similar performance.

Well anyway, this is my first post here, so have at it!

If that's the system you know you want, I say go for it. I'm not going to try to try to convince you to go AMD. That would just start a flame war. And we know the MODS are watching.... lol

it's for gaming, so the Athlon 64 Venice will run better.
for multimedia the Intel would win, but for gaming, go for the Athlon 64 3200+ Venice, with an MSI K8N Neo 4

and go for G.Skill RAM with Samsung TCCD's

it's really up to you, but that's what I recommend

I play World of Warcraft quite a bit, and I heard that game has problems with Athlon 64 boards, So I am kind of leary about that.

Ask on the WoW support forums if it really does. But i doubt that it really has problems with the CPU maybe certain boards and setups. Anyways Athlon is cheaper for its power.

That link for the motherboard points to the wrong one.

Anyways, that system is going to be pretty sweet. You wont be disappointed.

As for 64-bit, etc, dont make that scare you away from any 64-bit CPU. Just because it can run 64bit OS/software, doesnt mean that it doesnt run 32bit stuff. In fact, that CPU you chose supports 64bit software.

If you were looking at an ATI card, go for the X800XL. Its a really good bang for you buck, even though you'll probably get a few recommendations of 6600GTs or 6800GTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom