Laptop mouse problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

180Mhz

In Runtime
alright my friend wanted me to re format windows on her laptop, so she gave it to me to work on. well anyway i was working on it, and after getting windows set up and all the software installed, i defraged, scanned for errors and viruses, and then shut it off for the night, as it was 3AM. Anyway earlier today I booted it up to copy the backup of my friends files i made, back to her hard drive. The little red cursor controller thingy (i dont know exactly what its called) for controlling the cursor isnt working. The cursor just kinda jitters around on the screen and when you touch the pointer thingy the cursor darts across the screen and gets stuck in the corner. Frustrated I shut off the computer and went on the internet lookin for a solution to the problem. I couldent find a thing. So then a few hrs after Iwent back to the laptop and booted it so see if (hopefully) for some miraculous reason it fixed itself. But now it doesnt even do anything. The cursor sits in the center of the screen and when you try to move it, it jumps up or down an inch and jitters.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
She probably wont care, it is an old laptop a ThinkPad i1161.
500Mhz, and is in fairly rough shape. I think that the thing is just on its deathbead, but im worried that she will never trust me again.
Any help would be apreciated.

thanks.

what are you talking about ? Is it an optical mouse that is hooked up to the laptop ? If that's what you mean it sounds like maybe you need drivers for it.

Try plugging a mouse into the PS2 port to see if that works.You will have to restart as most are not hot pluggable.If you have downloaded drivers from the IBM site;there will be a "trackpoint"utility in control panel.By the way;when you plug in a mouse and restart it will disable the trackpoint..........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom