Nvidia's G71 is also dual slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Some inside information from theinquirer.net-

The "Faster G70", which is how the G71 is being called internally now, targets almost insane clock speeds. We have learned that several boards achieved a clock speed of 800MHz, which just goes to prove that tweaks being done in 110nm G71 core will make R520 tremble, and force ATI to respond with its 32-pipe R580 as soon as possible. However, we have to warn you that we haven't been able to find out in what environment this clockspeed was achieved. But it was achieved using new and improved two-slot cooling, not water or phase-change cooling...

So, to sum what we know about G71, possibly dubbed the 7800 Ultra:

- 110nm process, modestly revised GPU
- unexpected clockspeed (up till' this story, of course)
- dual-slot aluminium cooling with at least four heatpipes
- ultra-silent, large-fin large-diameter fan
- 512 MB of GDDR-3 memory, provided by Samsung. Capacity of the chips: unknown

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24661

I doubt it's going to be anywhere near 800MHz, they stated that was just in a "few" cases which is far from an entire production line. It was obvious nVidia still had an ultra card coming though. If it is infact 800MHz I gotta say people who bought $600 7800GTX cards must feel real bad.

nVida has always bush sat, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

They might even charge $700.

Didn't video cards used to max out at $500?(must be because of the decreasing value of the dollar)

turtile said:
Didn't video cards used to max out at $500?(must be because of the decreasing value of the dollar)

They are also probably more expensive to manufacture in sufficent numbers. For awhile, the 6800 Ultras and the Radeon X800 XT PEs were nigh impossible to find on the market cuz of low yields

My next video card will be either one of these of the X950XT, which is the R580 core. I have started my savings account and am doing these upgrades possibly next spring.

You may want to consider a dual GPU instead, Gigabyte recently released their dual 6800GT card which scores about 10K in 3Dmark05, and I know several companies are working on dual GPU cards for the 7800GTX. I am assume ATI manufacturers will follow suit but I haven't heard much about them

how much $$ is that dual 6800gt running?
also, it would be possible to have it running in SLI right? if so that would kinda be like 4 6800 GTs :amazed:

when "new tech" comes out, it's always crap... look at the X800 PRO, the first of the series, it's crap... don't buy anything when it comes out, give it a chance to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom