Parts to NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had problems with maxtor, the drive wouldn't scan correctly after initial install/format, it would just crash. I replaced it 4 times before I finally just bought a wd, its lasted 7-8 years now. I went back to the store 2 months later and not one of those maxtors were still on the shelf, so yeah they screwed up and some how let an entire faulty product line escape testing. Now tell me how exactly that would happen without using incompetance as an excuse, and just maybe I'll change my opinion of them one day.

WD used to be the best drive you could buy, however they went downhill about 3-4 years ago, I've had a few of thier drives die before they made it a year. This isn't to say that WD isn't ok, they're just no longer exceptional. I used to be very hard on drives, think accessing/spining 24/7 with system restarts months apart.

I got 2 Seagate Barracudas and they havn't died yet, one is about a year old, the other 5 months, sooo we'll see. They are the quietest drive I've ever owned too.

For System boards, havn't had too much bad luck. Abit never did me wrong, on the Gigabyte board I have the integrated sound is messed up, nothing major and I learned to live with it.

Lite on, well its been 6 months and its on its way out, I don't use it much anyway, I mirror cds off my harddrive for games that need the cd. You don't spend 25 bucks on a drive thinking its gonna be in your comp forever. For the price its good drive, don't be unrealistic about what your buying.

Basicly if you find a 'good deal' on something then theres probably a reason for it. Ask a question if your not sure, thats what this message board is here for.

P.S. I highly doubt any newb is gonna read through this entire thread.

P.S. I highly doubt any newb is gonna read through this entire thread.

True, only the n00bs who don't want to be n00bs will.

Just think of this thread as a way to vent... but keep it clean.

I dont know if this qualifies for a 'fan boy comment' or not, but let me tell you something about eMachines. There not amazing computers first off. But there a better alternative to Dell. Dell seems to make systems that work, eMachines seems to build them to perform. Simply put, Dell and eMachines both build a lot of crap, but eMachines does a better job with their crap. I've also seen some amazing eMachine computers, and some amazing prices. On the high end, Dell wins with their extream XPS machines. But most people would do better buying a more expensive eMachine than a Dell of the same cost.

Very true.

My eMachine has been a great one. And when I build my new system, I ain't retiring it. It gets passed on to my daughter.

One thing I can agree on is NOT to buy a Maxtor harddrive. My friend bought one originally and took it back twice because it just gave out on him, he eventually just bought a Western Digital like I told him too and it's fine now :p

Unbranded PSUs also suck, replaced mine with a nice Thermaltake 480W.

ATI All-In-Wonder/Radeon 9800 Pro - The crappiest of the crap. My All-In-Wonder has given me nothing but problems. I got it because I was getting a decent deal on it but damn I wish I went with the 6600 instead, or at least dished out some more cash for a better card. The 9800 pro overheats like a maniac, even with a good amount of cooling.

Haven't had any problems with my ASUS motherboard though, it's still going strong.

Emachines are decent, but you have to replace the psu. I fixed one guy's emachine up with a new dfi mobo and psu b/c the the psu died and took the mobo with it. Stay away from Bestec.

Yeah, they will do that. Just stay away alltogether from generic things in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom