Speedfan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
Last week I replaced my power supply and processor fan with quieter ones. But still at times the fan noise can be a little loud for my tastes, plus I do some home recording so a quiet base unit is important for my needs. I've just downloaded Speedfan and wanted to know what you think of it's initial readings, the computer has been on for less than an hour and all I've been doing is surfing the net. I'm not sure which temp corresponds to what yet but here's my initial readings:-

Temp 1: 41C
Temp 2: 37C
Local: 46C
Remote: 46C
HD0: 39C

Are these normal temperatures, considering I'm not pushing my hardware much? How much scope do I have to turn the fans down etc?

My readings from SPeedFan are:

Temp1: 34C
Temp 2: 46C
HD0: 29C

And my computers been running for about 10 hours.

I've got the local and remote substancially down as a result of moving my soundcard down a couple of slots, it was practially making love to the graphics card before. Here's my current readings:-

Temp 1: 41C
Temp 2: 33C
Local: 31C
Remote: 21C
HD0: 40C

Those first and last temps seem a bit high to me. What do you think?

They do a bit. When you replaced your heatsink did you remove all the thermal compound from the cpu? If not the new heatsink may not be sitting correctly on the cpu or the new compound hasn't set properly.

SamBarry said:
They do a bit. When you replaced your heatsink did you remove all the thermal compound from the cpu? If not the new heatsink may not be sitting correctly on the cpu or the new compound hasn't set properly.

A qualified tech guy replaced the CPU fan, and I dont know if he removed all the thermal compound to be honest. He seemed to replace it very quickly though, like it took him maybe 5 minutes tops. What do you mean by the new compound hasn't set properly? Does this take time? If so, how long usually? It's been in 9 days now.

I have a Prescott and im at 45C now. This is with my stock heat sink / fan with some AS5. I bought an aftermarket HS/fan from Newegg and my temps went to 62C with the AS5. I didnt know that 2 different HS/fans could make that big of a difference.

If you are looking to cool your CPU and want to buy a new HS/fan make sure to ask people about it on here because Newegg's reviews cannot be trusted.

Humbucker said:
A qualified tech guy replaced the CPU fan, and I dont know if he removed all the thermal compound to be honest. He seemed to replace it very quickly though, like it took him maybe 5 minutes tops. What do you mean by the new compound hasn't set properly? Does this take time? If so, how long usually? It's been in 9 days now.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/compound.htm

not sure if it will help, it's just the heat makes the compound more efficient and if there's any gaps from the original compound the new layer wont have sat properly!
Better ask one of the hxc techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom