Why so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I've been looking at new power supplies, and everyone says that Thermaltake is a great brand. I came across this power supply, and am wondering why it's so cheap. It's not even 40 bucks, but is a great brand and has 420W. It has over 300 reviews on newegg with very good results, so it must be a good power supply, but why is it so cheap? Is there something I'm missing?

First off, don't purchase a product based on newegg.com user reviews. Although newegg is a great online retailer, their reviews tend to be on the biased side. Meaning you'll never see any reviews that say it's a bad product, don't buy it. They simply don't allow them to be posted. (Which IMO is wrong).

There are also several threads, "this week" that have been posted explaining the PROS & CONS of buying a cheap PSU.
That PSU you linked is far from a "High quality PSU" - Only 18a on the 12v rail and it says , Maximum power of 420w. During full load that PSU would never output 420w's with any efficiency.

Buying a cheap PSU isn't a smart idea. The PSU is probably the most important component of a PC. It's responsible for converting and providing your system with solid and reliable power.

Yeah I see what you're saying, and I appreciate the help. It's tempting when a PSU is only 40 bucks :) Here is the one I've decided on now after doing some research.

much better

It got great reviews, and here is a link showing how strong the voltage rails stayed under load.. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

If you want A half decent power supply for cheap, check out Xclio. They make half decent power supplies, only problem is that they are like lawnmowers.

Dude I own one, the 12+V rails run very nice, and the 5V and everything else. If you dont use one/own one, dont base your opinion off other peoples mishappens.

They work fine for a short period, but most of them die within a few months. It's already known they're made by a cheap Chinese company which uses cheap chinese capacitators

Un-reccomended and Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies...Ultra (yes, the pretty looking ones, they are made by a low-quality Chinese company that starts with "Young". Can't get much more generic than that!!!)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56231

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom