Help Me Wif RAM plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jace Da Ace

Baseband Member
Hey
2day i just brought a new stick of ram to upgrade my computer. Now its the computer and its working fine but i also want to run my old stick of ram with it. The ram i just brought was a 512 and my old was 256. I dont no much about ram but i know my motherboard is trying to run in duel channel mode. I dont want this how do i turn it off i have read though the manuel and its as useless as me any help would be great.

PS the motherboard is a Sapphire Axion if thats any help?:(

What kind of RAM is the old stick and the new stick? If they dont match, use the newere stick only, or you will be sorry with instabilty more than likely.

In order to take advantage of dual channel you need three things.

1.) Modules of the same type. Example: PC3200 & PC3200
2.) Modules of the same size. Example: 512MB & 512MB
3.) The two modules must be of similar timings:

You can use 2 completely different brands in most cases as long as those three things match.

So to answer your question, running a 256 & 512 together will not give you dual channel. No matter what type and timings they both have.

Nubius? Correct?

Yes and no - The only one you really need to have the same is number 2, as if you motherboard has 3 ram slots, you can have 2x 256 and 1x 512 and have 1gb in dual channel. I have 2 512 and 2 256 running in dual channel.

You do not need the speed to be the same, as the motherboard will underclock the faster ram to the slowest. The same with the timming.

Put the ram in the other slot to run them in single channel - but dual channel will give you a performance increase.

but, you're talking about two different channels.
4 slots = channel 0 & channel 1

he only has 1 - 256 & 1 - 512. so he can't run dual channel. i gave him the info for his situation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (Referring to Trifid)

Best damn response you will have for this thread.

Timings and size dont matter, your slower stick of ram will drag you down, so dont buy shitty ram in the first place. Dual channel is pretty much the RAM working together, so when a process is done, the other one picks up right after it.

yea there isn't really a setting to turn it off...it automatically turns on or off when the ram is/isn't in the right configuration,there are certain slots that the sticks of identical ram should be in...

ok. timings might not be very important, but SIZE? THe size must be the same to run dual channel. Speed may-not matter as true, the fastest wil be underclocked to match the slowest. But, doesn't that take away from why you'd want dual channel?

algu7344 said:
IT IS CONTROLLED BY THE MOTHERBOARD NOT BY THE GOD DAMN MEMORY!

Really? oh wow... algu7344 that's groundbreaking stuff.

You're motherboard, won't run ram in dual channel, if they aren't of the same size. To get overly technical, yes unsimilar timings and speeds should still work.

algu7344 why don't you go do a google search for dual channel ram. And come back and let us know what you find out about the size of each module?

NUBIUS!!! Where is NUBIUS when you need a ram question answered... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom