before ram purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheky

Baseband Member
I want to buy 2gigs of ram and I was wondering if this would be a good 1gbx2 set to get. i opted for a little pricier b/c it has a heatsink and company (samsung), but b4 i buy i want to know if you think this would be a good purchase, or if you have any other recommendations:

http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.as...lerLink=1&frmProductID=5698879&frmReadClick=1

oh and random question: if my mb supports up to 4gb of ram could i buy 2 sets of these and get 4 gigs out of it?

Thanks in advance.

I always say that it's better to have more memory then not enough. 2x1GIG is fine. 4x1GIG is not needed. Unless you were planning on mounting a bootable sector of your RAM.

If you're not planning on overclocking, then go ahead and buy the ram.

2x1GB is also not needed. 1GB is more than enough for anyone who games, does basic photo/video editing, and yes even video encoding 1GB is fine. 512MB is fine for anyone using simple tasks such as internet browsing or word processing.

gaara said:
2x1GB is also not needed. 1GB is more than enough for anyone who games, does basic photo/video editing, and yes even video encoding 1GB is fine. 512MB is fine for anyone using simple tasks such as internet browsing or word processing.

Well, i'm going to have to disagree with 2 GIG not being needed. My PC at desktop uses anywhere from 500 - 600MB of ram. Yes, it is very, very true that I could close down some appz, from running in the background. But, why? Everything that is running in the background is used and needed at some point. And when I do use it, it's nice to have it respond right away when needed. Rather then wait until the app. loads.

Now, when gaming, all the newest games are memory hogs. For example BF2 loves system memory. I've monitored my usage during gameplay. BF2 will use as much as 800MB to a GIG of ram.
Also, my swap file is anywhere from 500 - 700MB during BF2 play.

Because i have 2GIG of ram, i suffer absolutely no performance issues while having all of my programs running in the background and a memory hog game running at the same time. If I were to remove 1 GIG of ram from my system, which i've done as a test, the performance drops considerably.

For some systems 2 GIG's is eccential, for others, you're right, it's not needed. More ram is better then not enough when you need it.

Hell yea, 2 gigs with nice timings and good speed will give you a nice gaming experience, people just say 2 gigs is not needed because they cant afford it.

Well the only place where I wish I had more memory was when I'm doing torture test on prime 95. It pagefiles up to 2GB.....

First of all havoc, you sold an FX55 to replace with a 4800+/FX57 and you are worried about loading times?!?! Either way a faster RPM hard drive would contribute more to faster load times than more RAM would.

By your argument we might as well all go out and buy 512MB video cards since I'm sure we all run Doom 3 2048 x 1536 high settings with AA turned all the way up right?:rolleyes:

It's simple logic, more memory means the memory controller has to search more places to find the data, thus it's less efficent.

Hell yea, 2 gigs with nice timings and good speed will give you a nice gaming experience, people just say 2 gigs is not needed because they cant afford it.
Yeah, I'm sure you buy DDR600 to use at stock Athlon 64 FSB speeds too right?

It's fairly straightforward, 99% of desktop PC users do not need 2GB of RAM to run their everyday tasks on their PC. Furthermore, 100% of people not overclocking will recieve no benefit from spending extra money of low latency RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom