ATA Raid controller installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicevillain

Beta member
I've got a Gateway e-4200 with a DVDrom and CDburner using primary ide and secondary ide respectively.

I don't have anything set up as a slave on either because I don't know how.

My primary HD is a SCSI and has been working fine, but I wanted some added space so I bought a Maxtor Diamond 120GB IDE HD, and a ITE ATA 133 PCI RAID controller.
XP recognizes the raid controller but no drive.

I have the ata cable plugged into the primary slot on the pci RAID controller to the HD. I don't know what the wires/jumpers are called that are plugged into all my drives but the ones that have four prongs and red, yellow, black and one other wire is plugged in.... P3 or P5, those two were the only ones available.

I'm supposed to get a listing before the POST (at least it was before POST last night, but I can't reproduce) that lists all the ide drives connected and then allows me to go into the config util for the Raid controller, and I don't get it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my new HD working, with or without my raid controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

param4u,

Thanks for the help, but I still need more. There are jumper settings on the drive and it shows a diagram for master, slave and spare settings.

But my expertise isn't in this area at all so I don't know where the jumpers go to from the hard drive.

If you can provide any more background or a resource I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom