Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathino

Beta member
I recently put a new computer together and when i started it up the power supply fried after about 5-10 seconds. I have an Athlon XP 2600+, 512 DDR 2700 ram, 80gb HD 7200rpm, geforce fx 5200 256 mb, and the power supply was 400w, made by PowerUp. It was a cheap power supply..$25. I was wondering if I could just replace the power supply or is the entire computer fried? ive heard accounts of both happening and i was wondering if there is any way to easily tell. All i know is that the PS smells burnt and the PC smells fine. I figured out the wattage of my PC and it wopuld have been around 327 watts and the PS was 400w. I do know however that the fan setting on the PS was at low..and i maybe that could have had something to do with it. Hopefully i can jsut get a new PS. :confused:

Only thing to do is replace with a reputable power supply and see what happens. Supply supplies are known to take out other components with them when they go south.

About a year ago i built a PC and the firs time i turned on the computer the power supply went down. nothing happened to any other parts that were in at the time so i wouldnt worry just get a new ps and it will probably work.

thanks guys/girls
yeah, i tested my new mobo with my old 250w power supply to see if the new mobo light would come on and it did. I didnt actualy turn it on but at least the light came on
so i dont think it fried

i just gotta wiat and get a new PS...>_> oh well

thanks again for your help!

well that will teach you to get a cheap power supply, you get what you pay for. i think what param4u said was bogus. having too much wattage doesn't hurt anything, more is better.

my eletrician instructor said power supplies will strain the more they reach the limit of their output and generate more heat. so if you need 350watt and you get a 350 watt PSU , it will put a massive strain on it, by getting more than it needs you increase relaibility.

getting a higher output power supply doesnt mean it uses more electricity/ energy. your power supply will still only draw as much power as it needs to power the components connected to it.

Ain't it nice when you get exactly the info. you wanted to know?... Tech Forums is good for that :)

http://www.xpcgear.com/powersupply.html

look for one of the ones for at least 60 bucks

did your mobo beep repeatedly?.....are you sure you had it wired up properly?.....remove the processor fan and look at it to make sure it isnt fried also....chances are if it is then your mobo probrably went with it.

so would $70 for a 500w super silent psu be too cheap? if so how much should i expect to pay for a 500w power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom