Missing or Corrupt pci.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed3r

Baseband Member
I downloaded the latest drivers for nForce from nVidia, all went smooth, then i rebooted, windows didnt load, instead i got a message something like:
file missing or corrupt : system32\drivers\pci.sys

and it suggested to attempt a repair using the windows xp cd.
i tried that but realised i dont have the administrator password, is there anything i can do other than wait till monday to call the manufacturer?

does this mean that once the repair is done, i will have to roll back the motherboard drivers? or can i keep the new ones safely?

I am pretty sure that they will rollback with the repair. I am not sure that you will be able to keep the new ones since they are what caused the problem in the first place. Are you getting these drivers from the Manufactorer or 3rd party?

ed3r...press F8 as soon as your computer starts. This will bring u to Advanced startup options...choose safe mode then right click My computer in the start menu and choose Manage. Navigate to device manager...locate the componet and rollback the driver..restart

by the sound of things you should be looking for your graphics card not the motherboard...hope this helps!!!

I dont think that will work for the fact it corrupted the Video files and wont load even to Safe Mode. That is why even MS says to use the recovery console or to Repair your WinXP install.

problem is fixed.
i did the install/repair thing.
im guessing i still have the new drivers (from nVidia btw) because some problems i used to have are now gone.
thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom