Building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm ok, several things here.

1) the motherboard is socket 939, but your cpu is socket 754. You need to match the sockets up(I would suggest keeping the motherboard but changing the cpu).

2) Pretty poor video card choice, if you can try to get a 6600gt or 6800gt, probably the 6600gt for your budget

3) I've never heard of that soundcard before; if you know its good then go for it, otherwise, the onboard sound on that motherboard is pretty good

4) you don't need that ethernet card, the motherboard you have selected has onboard 10/100/1000 ethernet already.

5) You'll probably need more wattage from your power supply, 270W is hardly anything these days.

Other people may have other suggestions as well; those are mine.

Doi on the motherboard/cpu thing. My brain must have shut itself off. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the 6600gt or not, since I'm trying to save some cash. Apparently that sound card is the best possible deal you can get for that incredibly price. I suppose I should've checked the motherboard's specs a bit. I figured I'd need more wattage. I was going to check some bigger ones out tomorrow. So I'm thinking for the CPU I'll go with a AMD Athlon 64 3000+. That should do.

Yeah that'll be good; and for power supply I'd look for something in the 400-450 watt range for what you're building, and that's with a high quality build(enermax, antec, ocz, etc.)

If you're looking at gaming, I would definitely go with the 6600gt. And make sure its a pci-e compatible card, as that is the type of slot on the mobo.

I'm looking at an Antec TRUE430 ATX 430W Power Supply on newegg.com. That should be good. I'm pretty much going in the gaming direction here. Right now I'm running a Duron 800mhz with a VooDoo 4 card. Not the greatest setup for gaming nowadays. I can't even play Need For Speed Underground.......-_-

Yeah you'll definitely have fun with this new comp then. Good choice of power supply, that should serve you fine.

200-pin RAM????????:eek: :amazed: :confused:
It must be a typo, but it should be 184-pin.

And yeah, ditch that sound card, the onboard will be just as good as that.

That ram is accurate. Straight from www.newegg.com. If you think the onboard'll do it. I plan on using the computer to record my band however. That's one thing, but if the mobo will do it, alright.

Wait....I just thought of something. Would notebook memory RAM work in a PC? I'm pretty sure it would, and this is probably a dumb question anyway, but still.

Umm no. Notebook memory is different from desktop memory, and it won't work in your desktop as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom