Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumshoe

Baseband Member
Just found this forum and it looks like a great place to ask the question,

is there a value computer out there, something for the student?

I am a mac man but I need a PC for school. It doesnt need to be great,
not even good, just running. I need enough memory that it wont run out
of resources running 9.x or 2000, wich shouldnt be that difficult. I would
even settle for a 400mhz though I prefer 800+; along that, it would be great if the RAM in the machine were compatible with an ASUS A7M Motherboard, so I could just swap motherboards and CPU, then use the case and monitor.

Where can I find a good bargain?

I have searched high and low and come across nothing. Mostly I am finding
machines that small companies refuse to eat and are selling at outrageous
prices.

What I see,

A Clone running at 333mhz, with 128mb RAM and a 2gb HD for 100+ no monitor etc. is not a deal, its a ripoff, but thats what I am finding out there.

Any help?

Why not?

A 300mhz machine with 64 - 128mb RAM/10GB HD with monitor and keyboard/mouse is ready for only one thing, the trash. Now people can either keep their 150-200 dollar price and never sell the machine and eventually throw it away, or they can have someone like myself come along and pay them for their trash. Its good business. Imagine the trash collector rings your doorbell and pays you 50bucks to take your trash; thats a good deal.

What they hope is for some poor sucker to come along and buy a junk machine at an inflated price, so that they not only sell the trash but make a profit on it, thats greed.

The problem is that when those PCs were new people paid 1000 or more for them. Most people [even years later] can't fathom selling what was once $1000 dollar machine for $100.

In my experience most people will salvage every bit of PC they can until it is obsolete or they will hand it down to their kids to learn on. Either way, by they time they are ready to get rid of it, it's unuseable.

I agree, for the private owner selling a one time blockbuster machine for 100-250 bucks is heartbreaking. But for online startups who struggle to stay alive, selling your 'trash inventory'
at or below "assumed value" would be helpufull, unless all you sell is trash.

Maybe Ill hit up the local garage sales.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom