I.E. downloading Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 28k modem, cause I live pretty far back in some woods, and there are not any DSL/Cable lines close. Well, not really, becaues there is a cable line about about 500ft from my house, but the compeny who supplys the line is too lazy to bring it up to our house. it makes me really mad, cause I am dieing to have high speed internet.

mmm.. ever tried satallite internet?? omg, you'll get such a nice speed boost if you switch to high speed that you'll thank whoever you meet (i did this about 1.5 years ago..)

yah, prob it's pretty slow that it lost connection (try some other site? like a sample file from www.download.com?).. and btw, if you have a phone line, can't u do at least 56k?

furtivefelon said:
mmm.. ever tried satallite internet?? omg, you'll get such a nice speed boost if you switch to high speed that you'll thank whoever you meet (i did this about 1.5 years ago..)

yah, prob it's pretty slow that it lost connection (try some other site? like a sample file from www.download.com?).. and btw, if you have a phone line, can't u do at least 56k?

Hows he going to do 56k if he is using a 28k modem?

i'm not saying he should use 28k modem on a 56k line, doesn't most computer already come with a 56k modem built in (at least that's what i did about 4 years ago..)

Well, i'm sorry if you got spyware with that one. The one DL manager I'm thinking of is like something that comes with Mozilla. There are others too, but like I said before, I can't remember them...

I suspect that the problem you are having is directly related to your connection. More than likely, you are droping off some time during your DL... Accelerators won't really help you any, so they are not worth it.

Hope you can convince the cable company to get it into your house...

Good luck

There is always GetRight Download manager. I used that one some time ago. It wasnt bad but it just might serve your purpose.

Um, think i was wrong, am connected right now at 38kbps, So I guess I don't have a 28K modem, but I have never conneted at more then 40kbps. So i don't think I have a 56k modem. what kind of modem do you think I have?

I downloaded to files, both around 500Kb, and they went through fine.

I think it might for some reason start to drop its speed when it gets to a certin point in a download, and I am guessing that point is somewhere around 1mb.

Oh and don't worie about the whole spyware thing with Download accelerator, I uninstalled it, and got rid off all the spyware with Spybot S&D.

I Wouldnt say that most times you never connect at the maxium speed. It is a 56k modem its just the average you connect at it between 40-44K. Thats good you got rid of the spyware. Most time if you see that you are connecting at 28 or so you might have trouble downloading at those speeds. For larger files they tend to drop or get dropped in they dont get a response and 28 doesnt sent the response fast enough, so you probly got drooped thats why you couldnt download it before.

one can only have a 28k and a 56k modem, there isn't any specific modem in between..

so most likely ur 56k :D

anyhow, yah, it might be that in order to download a bigger file, they expect a faster reaction than your connection can provide. so they thought you are not responsive, and cut you off (assuming if u download other files fine :D)

I believe there was a 366.6 modem inbetween the 28.8 and the 56 modem. They were not that popular and the 56k came out not long afterward but there was a 36.6. Not sure but might have even been a 44k but i think that might just be me getting all nistalgic about my win95 days and the begining of the internet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom