"Cannot Find Partition Settings" HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek_Alert

Beta member
"Cannot Determine Partition Settings" HELP!

OK I always leave my computer on and for some strange reason, when I came home, it was off. I was like OK maybe I had a power surge or outage. So I go to turn on my computer and as I look at the screen it gives me the error saying "Error loading Operating System". So I automatically knew something was up. My computer then restarted. After it restarted I went and got my factory reinstall disks. When I put them in I got a error saying "Cannot Determine Partition Settings". This has happened before and for some reason one time it worked. I don't know why but it isnt working now. So I called up my friend and he gave me his install disks to his dell **NOTE** I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS322**END NOTE** and recovery disks worked good but, I HATE DELL. So I want it off ASAP. Also, the more important reason why I want my computer back to original settings is because I got a couple of programs and games that came with my computer that I need (like microsoft word). So I hope I gave a clear undertstanding of my problem. Thanks for the help. Peace.

Hmmm, to my understanding Sony makes a secret file on the hard drive that triggers the Partition from the Recovery disks. So, if I just got a new hard drive would there be a way I could get this file? Or am I going to have to buy a special one from Sony? Any other ideas though? I rather not buy a new HD. I have gotten it to work once but, I dont know. It just seemed like my computer wanted to help this time. Thanks.

There might not be an active partition on the hard disk that you want to use to start the computer, or the wrong partition might be identified as the active partition. In that case, use an MS-DOS Startup diskette to start the computer and use the Fdisk tool to set or change the active partition. If the MBR is corrupted, which youÂ’d see if the error message occurs again after using Fdisk, you might need a third-party disk that can make the change manually. The partition table field that should be changed is the System ID field.

Hmmm, kind of made sense. Whats an MBR? Also Im not sure if I told you but, I have a OS installed. My friend had an Old Dell disk that he let me borrow that installed XP Home Ed. Also I want to return it to factory settings because I have to activate it in 30 days and Im not even sure if what I'm doing is conisdered legal. I just put it on there as a temp. solution. OK my D: Partition is good. Everything that was on it before is still there. It's my C: Partition that got whiped out. So I want to reinstall my old / factory settings of my C: Drive so I can get some programs that came with my computer. Like Age of the Empires and possibly see if I can get My Documents back. Thanks. Also do you want me to go to Open up my Command Prompt? Maybe we could talk over msn if you have. I appreciate your time. Thanks!

M+B+R = Master Boot Record

if you have successfully installed a new OS using your friends Dell disk(s) then your documents are already gone...if you use your SONY disk(s) ages of empire will be restored as well as Word...

Geek_Alert said:
Hmmm, kind of made sense. Whats an MBR? Also Im not sure if I told you but, I have a OS installed. My friend had an Old Dell disk that he let me borrow that installed XP Home Ed. Also I want to return it to factory settings because I have to activate it in 30 days and Im not even sure if what I'm doing is conisdered legal. I just put it on there as a temp. solution. OK my D: Partition is good. Everything that was on it before is still there. It's my C: Partition that got whiped out. So I want to reinstall my old / factory settings of my C: Drive so I can get some programs that came with my computer. Like Age of the Empires and possibly see if I can get My Documents back. Thanks. Also do you want me to go to Open up my Command Prompt? Maybe we could talk over msn if you have. I appreciate your time. Thanks!

activate it using your key. those program will still work on your sony cd. it will check to make sure that is the right computer, then it will let you install the programs.

I install xpsp2 on a fresh install on my wife computer in this manner (sony had it a xpsp1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom