Should I RMA this Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I've already posted about this problem in the building section, but I know a lot more people will read it here, and I would like to make an informed decision about whether I should RMA this ram:

I built my computer a few days ago :).

Yesterday I tried my hand at some slight overclocking. I have a DFI NF4 lanparty Ultra, 3200 vence, 1gb twinmos ram. I wasnt going for any records, but just wanted to experiment a little. I set my fsb up to 205 and had no problems. At 210 I started getting typical program crashing errors. I upped the ram voltage a little and the chipset voltage, the program errors went away.

I decided to use prime95 to torture test my pc while I slept and give the new HSF/AS5 a good work out. Too bad I got an error on the first test. I set EVERYTHING back to stock. Got the same error. So, I used my bios' memtest86, which is conveniently bulit in. Well, I let it run for about 7.5 hours and I recieved a whopping 17,384 errors, at stock!

I've got a 480w Antec NeoPower psu, all FOUR power connections plugged in on the power hungry board... I don't think any other components would cause the problem. I had run memtest earlier with some slight overclock and it only produced one error in the first minute, while by that time stock was up at like 100 errors.

What's up with that? Should I RMA the ram?

Ok look at your Twinmos ram. What are the last 4 letters? Did you get your ram off of newegg? When? I have been warning people about Twinmos ram. They don't have WInbound UTT chips in them anymore. I would go and return it, pay the 15% restocking fee and get the OCZ Value 1gb ram that is 105 dollars at newegg.

Yeah, unfortunately now with those it's a toss up...you might get lucky assuming the last 4 letters are what....AA4t I think it is and they'll be winbond UTT....otherwise you'd need what HACP has, the speed premiums.

i dont think you would be able to get a replacement as you have broken the ram by oc'ing. but you dont have to tell the suppliers that i suppose... what are winbond chips? what do they do?

Which "last four letters" are you talking about? There's the P/N which ends in CADT, the Model No which ends in J16A-TT.

Is the OCZ Value good OC'ing ram? I originally got these chips cuz they were getting a repuation for being good overclockers :(.

They were getting a good reputation, unfortunately they stopped binning them with the Winbond chips which are known for good OC's =/

Bastards...

The ValueRAM isnt gonna want to OC very far as well.....it's hard to say at this point, it's either RMA it and hope that perhaps you'll have the grace of god with you and get a good pair, or refund it, save up for something better.

I've actually decided to return the TwinMos and get some Patriot XBLK and hope for TCCD chips, if not, it should still be pretty good. Thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom