using a multimeter to measure voltage on a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just connect the postive alligator clip or lead to the pins on the molex connectors, and the ground lead to the case or to the pin that is attached to the black wire.

i took the power supply out of my case.so i just plug it into the wall switch it on and put the positive on the positive and the ground on the ground?

also how much voltage is suppose to be going through the connectors that hook up to the hard drive and the cd rom and the vid card(the little 4 pin connector)?

That is correct.

Also, just to prewarn you: Never take apart a PSU. There is enough current flowing through the inside of a PSU to kill you.

It is, on the otherhand, perfectly safe to test the voltages on anything outside of the PSU.

Another thing to remember is that the black wires are ground, while the red should put out +5v, and the yellow should put out +12v. A little varience in the voltages is okay, but not much more than a volt or volt and a half.

silence782 said:
Another thing to remember is that the black wires are ground, while the red should put out +5v, and the yellow should put out +12v. A little varience in the voltages is okay, but not much more than a volt or volt and a half.

I think you mean .1 or .15. Undervolting 1 volt is going to seriously kill your computer.

Elbatrop1 said:
Also, just to prewarn you: Never take apart a PSU. There is enough current flowing through the inside of a PSU to kill you.
Yep! That includes when it is switched off too! Be very careful!

TMT. :cool:

lol, hacp....too true....didn't even notice he said that.

HOWEVER....I'm surprised no one even mentioned this...unless you have an OLD ASS style PSU you can't simply plug it into a wall and turn it on.

You need to use a paperclip to jump the only green wire in the 20pin connector and the black wire next to it...THEN it can turn on.

http://www.casemodgod.com/cmg/Howto-story--16.html

go there for instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom