Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get a program like Diskeeper, you can have it run in the background and keep the disk defragged on a regular basis, without having to whole-hog it every now and then.

I wipe my system out so often, I never get a chance too....I like to test software...what works together, what doesnt..etc..so I gotta

There is definate benefits to defragging your drives on a regular basis. Not only does the defrag run quicker doing it on a regular basis, but it keeps everything in order so programs and files are accessed much faster. I haven't heard that it does any harm and I run my regularly on my servers and workstations.

I partition my hard drives. I have 7 on 3 hard drives. I don't use system restore on any drive but C. I have my pagefile on it's own partition. (the first 3 gigs on a 160 gig sata hard). I don't need to defrag

I know you all will oppose to this, but when I do defrag in this setup it doesn't move anything but a couple of files on my C drive. I never experience a speed loss either. Now I do, do a disc cleanup for my temp files though for obvious reasons

My set up
1 50 gig WD. 3 partitions (2C and a G). 2 20 and 1 10 gig (Dual boot OS, 1 Game Drive)

1 200 gig Maxtor. 2 partitions(L and M). 2 94.5 gigs (My Documents, My Movies)

1 160 gig seagate sata. 2 partitions(S and X). 1 3gig and 1 146 (Swap File and Xtra)

I just don't have a reason to do it

I purchased a defrag program and have it scheduled to run daily. It runs in the background and it doesn't interrupt my computer use.

Every couple days, before I jump in the shower.....um ..that was funny...seriously....I tried Diskeeper, O&O, Perfectdisk; now I just use windows, works fine.

Yes defragmenting regularly helps the system from slowing down and also minimizes blue screens, crashes, freezes etc. While drives sizes are getting larger nowadays, so are file sizes.
Automatic software has made the task faster now.

i just format twice a year, never defrag, my 2nd disc where i download all my files to isnt fragmented one bit even after months of downloading. My pc works just as fine as ever and it hasnt been rebooted for the last 3 months :). Never experienced any problems with this and i'm an avid gamer, my games load just fine, and play just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom