What to do? Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
go to tomshardware.com they have alot of cpu comparison benchmarks. but personally id go with the x2

X2 definitly man that thing is pretty sick and it kills the intel 64 bit dual core processor

Yeah, i think i am going to go with the X2 4800+ but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. And most places online give august as an ETA. Well, i guess i'll have to wait until then.

I love the multimedia / multitasking benchmarks that this CPU has. Really freakin' impressive, it blows away anything else on the market.

Both are great. But consider this...

How long before you build your next computer, after this one? And how long do you think it will be before there are ANY games that utilize dual cores?

Don't fool yourself... it will be a long time (think couple of years) before there are games on the market that can use dual cores because it takes time (which developers don't have a lot of to spare), effort (ditto), and money (which they are too greedy to let go of) to develop this stuff. Give it time, and it will happen. How long has Intel had hyperthreading, and how many programs use it? How long did it take?

For just gaming, go single. But if you are multi-tasking, or using multi-media, go dual. But don't fool yourself by saying you want a dual for the games to come. This comp will be out of date by then.

Honestly trotter, i think your estimate of a few years is way off. The reason i think so is that games for the next generatoin consoles are already being designed to utilize multicore processors. This will surely prompt PC game makers to follow suit to compete with the ever shrinking market share that PC-Games consume. Console games out sell PC games by far. These new consoles, by their specs. pack a hellava punch. Have you been into an ebgames lately? Over the last 2 years the PC-Game display has grown smaller and smaller. Now, each store has may-be 1 or 2 displays. Also is true for many other video game stores. Where now console game shelves have double for all consoles.

The Unreal Engine 3 is being designed to work for both PC games & Console games. Which means that for console games it must support multicore processing. I expect that it will be supported in PC's as well. Now this has yet to be confirmed, but doesn't it make sense? AMD is known for it's 64 series being "gamer" oriented. With their latest release of the X2 series, would you think that the accompaning game developers that are in AMD's pocket would start developing games to drive the sales of their Dual Cores? I think it makes sense.

All of the benchmarks prove that the the X2 4800+ outperforms every processor on the market in multitasking / multimedia processing. Intel doesn't even have a chance against it. But, the AMD 64 series is market is driven by gamers. If games start supporting the Dual Core processors and can prove to be better then the single core, they will start flying off the shelves.

Now i might be jumping the gun here, but I believe what i've said makes sense. Dual Core support in games is coming sooner then you think.

If i'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last.

Here's an article that supports my assumption:
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1570-x-x-x

uzi9mm said:
Just FYI dual core optimized games are on the way......
Here is a demo of one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832209001

Also HT was designed for multitasking, not gaming. That is why game makers did not optimize games for it.

My suggestion, just wait 3-5 months.

Yeah, that DEMO comes with any purchase of an intel Pentium D processor. I say that the other day. As for 3-5 months, I think I can get by with running (non-dual core supported games just fine)
Once i get this beast built, i'll run all kinds of benches and post them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom