Major problem now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything I can do to confirm it's the AGP slot? I don't wanna have to spend money on a new motherboard if I don't have to. Are there any mobo tests I can download or anything like that?

Man, this computer has been one big frustration since I got it, I've spent nearly half what I originally paid for it on new stuff. If I ever have the money in the future I'll probably just get one built by someone reliable

Heyyo,

See if you can borrow a buds vidcard, or better yet, ask if you can test your new vidcard into a buds computer.

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

See if you can borrow a buds vidcard, or better yet, ask if you can test your new vidcard into a buds computer.

I'm already 99% sure it's the slot now because like I said, with both the Radeon 9800SE and the 6600GT in I have had this restart problem. But when I have used the onboard graphics the problem has gone. Another stange thing is when I place a graphics card in there, often the PC will restart up to 3 times before the system reverts back to it's non-restarting behaviour. So for a while I think the problem is fixed, only for it to rear it's very ugly head again.

Also, I don't know if this is connected but whenever I put a graphics card in that slot my PC is really quiet, you can just hear the air from the fans. It stays quiet for a few hours, then I will gradually hear this kinda ringing noise. It's not loud at at all, but loud enough for me to notice. It sounds as though it comes from the Power Supply. I've noticed posts on here before where people have said they have ran into problems because 2 components were sharing a cable etc. Now I don't really know if this is the case with me, but maybe there's a chance. I'm not all that up on connections etc, so can anybody explain to me how this would look inside the case. Many thanks. :)

Also, a couple more questions:-

If I buy another motherboard, will I have to do a new install of XP? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have to ask.

Is it possible that any graphics card in the bad slot(if it IS a bad slot) could be damaged as a result of being in there? I've just got my 6600GT and would hate to have to get another one.

Heyyo,

Odds are the card won't be damaged unless it caught fire, which in your case it diddn't so it should be ok.

Plus, bumping is a hanus crime in forums.. probably why you're not getting that much responses man.

You will have to reinstall windows xp after you get a new mobo put in.. well, unless it's the exact same you have right now then you might not have to.

Okay here we go....It sounds like a bad AGP Slot. As for new Mobo...yes you will have to do a fresh install with the components you want installed. Since the mobo readings wont be the same as the old ones you have to do a fresh install.

Heyyo,

Now, I wanna expand on this a little more for future knowledge. Windows Longhorn (beta scheduled for release I think this week or is it out already?) will have some special program intergrated into the boot process of windows that will detect massive hardware changes such as the mobo, and attempt to adapt the OS to it, thus reinstalling windows after changing the mobo is a thing of the past (Well, as long as you're using windows longhorn that is). Very nice I say, but windows took its sweet time, Linux had this for quite some time already.

OK, thanks for your input everyone - will probably get a new motherboard sometime in the future but will have to make do with this one for now. BTW MarD - I was only bumping when it had slipped way down the page, cos in my experience once a thread goes that far down it's unlikely it'll come back without a helping hand. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom