Noisy Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinagreenelvis

Baseband Member
Man, I'm really picking apart my PC today. I replaced a WD hard drive earlier because it was emitting a concentration-breaking whine. So now that it's gone I find myself closely earing the rest of the computer to make sure nothing else does anything of the sort, just while I'm on the go. And I swear to God, I can hear my processor processing. When the CPU usage is at 100 percent and the temp shoots up to 65 (with the old heatsink and fan it used to idle at 70, so 65 at 100% ain't that bad) it makes this scratchy sqeaky noise that's just audible enough to be noticable.

Comments? Suggestions?

Actually, I can hear it when it's idling, too. It's not as annoying, but the sounds are there. Just to be more specific, it sounds like a microscopic playing card stuck in a microscopic bicycle wheel, spinning and spinning and clicking - and it's not the heatsink fan, I switched the fan off momentarily and could still hear the sound.

I'd read somewhere that CPUs don't emit sound. Could it be a faulty electronic component near the CPU itself? Would not having enough power coming from the PSU have anything to do with it?

Curious, what kind of CPU is it? If its a prescott, that would explain the temps

I just got a new Gigabyte G-Power Pro and i am running a prescott 3.2Ghz OC to 3.8Ghz and temps are around 33c!

And i can never hear my CPU make sound. Sure its not your CPU fan speeding up? because the hotter the CPU temps the faster the fan will spin. (cpu gets hotter underload so the fan get faster to try and cool it)
The is if you have the stop fan,heatsink.

Well, I'm glad Lucky the Leprechaun paid you a jolly visit and gave you a heaping helping of pixie dust that magically brings your CPU to breathmint temperatures, but some of us got screwed by this big game of Russian Roulette we call Life, and for unpinpointable reasons we have to suffer obscenely high degree readings from our system monitors, despite experimental set up after experimental set up.

Maybe your heatsink is some kind of Godsend, but unless Santa Claus comes riding into town to throw one in my lap, I'm stuck with the one I already paid fifty bucks for.

Also, as I've already stated, I unplugged the system fan momentarily to make sure that it wasn't the culprit. I'm sure it's possible that the noises are heat related, but in my head, anything's possible, as I really don't know as much about computers at the hardware level as I do about the software they run. I'm hoping someone on this board is pro enough to be able to tell me if and when a CPU would emit any kind of noise.

It's also a noise you have to listen for, and I mean really listen. I can't hear it if I don't open my case, shut off all the fans in my room, and get right down next to it.

chinagreenelvis said:
Anyway, would you mind telling me more about the circumstances of your wonderfully cool CPU? Like what kind of heatsink you have, what kind of motherboard you're using, and how many fans your case has? Maybe you have some kind of special trick to applying the thermal layer that I don't know about? Share your secrets, otherwise I'm just going to assume that you're some kind of blessed angel with unattainable temperature status.
Originally posted by Sprooty
I just got a new Gigabyte G-Power Pro

Heh, I was in the middle of editing my post when you caught that. I read through it way too fast the first time and missed a few things there. Obviously I caught the mistake...

Also, that Gigabyte cooler is MO EFFIN HUGE. I mean it's HUGE. As in HUGE.

Anyway, this thread isn't about cooling, I don't want to get back on the subject of cooling, I'll just get bitterer and bitterer because there isn't anything more I can afford to do to cool down my Flamethrower, I just want to know if it's making these stupid noises...

ok ill write down everything that makes sounds in a computer.

Hard Drive
Fans
Ram (some times you can hear am loading)

I have 1 case fan and the heatsink thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom