ext. hard drive enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hi, I don't know if any of you guys have encountered problems with older comptuers and newer hard drives(PATA).
I know when I took the 80 gig HDD out of my 4 year old pc and put it in a 6 year old PC the mobo could not detect the hard drive, even after i checked jumpers and all, I'm guessing because the speed was too slow or because BIOS isnt new enough, Would this matter while using an external HDD enclosure? Or will it read any IDE drive?

Maker of the 80 gig? 5400 rpm drive or 7200(not that that makes any difference)? If is an IDE hd doens't make any sense why it cannot be read. Set it as a slave, position 2 on your IDE O cable and see if it recognizes it then. It's a IDE and the ext is USB or SCSI? If the 6 year old puter has usb (which it must) then, yes, it should recognize the drive usb or SCSI. You might want to spec the older mobo so we can do a better eval. by the way, PATA is the older conventin for all IDE drives except for MAC which are all SCSI. Newer drives are Serial= SATA.

no, I'm saying when the drive is placed internally in this older computer it will not be read because the computer is too old, I'm wondering if i will get the same problem if I use the drive with an external hard drive enclosure thru USB on this computer or any other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom