Major problem now

Status
Not open for further replies.
TechKid said:
it could be a problem with your agp slot? thats all i can think of

Yeah, that may be possible I guess - but EVERYTHING works fine with both graphics cards I've had apart from this restart thing. I have to wait a few mins before I can boot up after restarting, could it be a heat thing? Grabbing at straws maybe but I just dunno.

If I were you I'd memtest your system too. Something on-baord is getting hot! That's why things seem to be fine after it has "cooled down" and then restarted. So, what in your system is oc'd? If you have overclocked cpu or ram....I'd definitely look closely a those components. And the mobo if yo have oc'd anything!

It's all been checked, but never checked for overheating. Could this be the problem? I thought I had a really good fan setup.

Heyyo,

look for a program called speedfan, google it. It should tell you the temps of your comps (well, should cause most mobos have heat sensors). If it's above 50ºC then it's starting to cook.. I for one have a temp prob with my cpu, but I can't get a gigabyte 3d rocket cooler around here.. so that blows chunks. I'll probably just sand down the bottom of my HSF and put new thermal paste.

Heyyo,

Now, my old agp vidcard on my mobo was crap, sometimes the agp card would slide out n' so me comp wouldn't fully startup. Had to turn off the comp, wiggle the card back in and then I'd be ok.

Since you've bought so many new components and still haven't found the problem, why not buy a new Motherboard too. I'm willing to bet that the problem you are having is directly related to the AGP slot.

The expansion and contraction that occurs during the normal heating and cooling cycles of your system can cause chips and cards, over time, to inch loose from sockets or slots. This is known as chip creep or card creep. Normally there isn't any damage to the slot, you just push the card back into the slot. But, there could be some damage to your slot. It's very possible.

The CPU overheating could be another issue.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Since you've bought so many new components and still haven't found the problem, why not buy a new Motherboard too. I'm willing to bet that the problem you are having is directly related to the AGP slot.

The expansion and contraction that occurs during the normal heating and cooling cycles of your system can cause chips and cards, over time, to inch loose from sockets or slots. This is known as chip creep or card creep. Normally there isn't any damage to the slot, you just push the card back into the slot. But, there could be some damage to your slot. It's very possible.

The CPU overheating could be another issue.

If the problem was the AGP slot, would buying a new motherboard rectify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom