Major problem now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
My PC hasn't restarted for a number of months now and after having a tech guy check EVERYTHING the unanimous verdict was that the problem was my Radeon 9800SE graphics card. When using onboard graphics, it restarted fine but with the card in it wouldn't have any of it. So I today got my new Leadtek A660GTTDH, thinking the problem would be no more. On my first restart after installing, everything seemed fine. The second time and every time after that the same thing is happening as before, after the boot screen the system hangs on a black screen before it can even get to the Windows XP screen, which it never makes it to. I then have to turn the power off, then wait 3 or 4 mins then the PC will boot up normally.

I'm now thinking this is some kind of power issue. Last week I got a brand new Antec 450watt power supply, so the amount of power required shouldn't be a problem. Could it be some kind of motherboard conflict? This card seems to work fine and the Radeon card worked fine apart from this one issue. EVERY possible problem has been covered by myself and the tech guy in the last few weeks:-

*Bought new 450watt PSU - previous one was 300watts
*Done a fresh windows reinstall
*Took out M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
*Replaced Radeon 9800SE card with Nvidia 6600GT card

What else could be causing this problem? Could it be a wiring thing? There must be SOMETHING causing this. Any help and ideas much appreciated.

I used the Cat uninstaller from the ATI website to get rid of all the ATI drivers. But I've just done a search of my PC with the term 'ATI' and a S**tload of files came up. Is it possible all these left over files could be the problem and if I get rid of them(with driver cleaner maybe) all will be good? Is it even safe to do this now I have the new card in?

Anyone?

Also, is there any other way of getting into safe mode other than pressing F8? On my machine this doesn't work for some reason.

Did you do the full reformat and fresh install of windows prior to switching cards? If so, I would do it again to ensure all ATI files are gone.

To get to safe mode:

Run>msconfig>Boot.ini>/Safeboot>restart

Heyyo,

I remember reading cause since windows 98 they removed the delay before starting windows os, so they incorporated another way to get into safemode, hold down the ctrl key as your comp boots apparently. Now, I've read this from a a+ cert practice exam, so it should be fine. I dunno if it's only win98 or every winOS, but I'll test that out later today. :)

idiotec said:
Did you do the full reformat and fresh install of windows prior to switching cards? If so, I would do it again to ensure all ATI files are gone.

To get to safe mode:

Run>msconfig>Boot.ini>/Safeboot>restart

I did a full reformat 2 weeks ago when I still had the ATI card in. I only switched over cards today. The ATI files I am finding are in lots of different folders and date back to 2004, which is strange as XP was wiped COMPLETELY 2 weeks ago before the reinstall.

I may have a problem doing that run command as, like I said, my PC doesn't restart. Can I do that but turn the power off first?

OK, did the whole driver cleaner thing in safe mode etc. STILL isn't restarting. When I look for ATI files there are still some there too, although I dunno if this is causing any problems. :mad:

Heyyo,

Did you go into your add/remove programs in your control pannel when removing the drivers? You're supposed to do that WITH your ati card in, and remove all parts (mine had 3) and then turn off the comp, and install the next card.

There's driver eliminator programs out there. I used one from I think www.voodoofiles.com good site, used to get my old 3DFX voodoo 4 32MB's PCI (that's right, now envy my old skool fury) drivers from there, those x3dfx drivers were crazy man, best drivers ever made. I could literally change all the settings onnit. over 50 options to ultimately fry the vidcard with! w00t! :D

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

Did you go into your add/remove programs in your control pannel when removing the drivers? You're supposed to do that WITH your ati card in, and remove all parts (mine had 3) and then turn off the comp, and install the next card.

There's driver eliminator programs out there. I used one from I think www.voodoofiles.com good site, used to get my old 3DFX voodoo 4 32MB's PCI (that's right, now envy my old skool fury) drivers from there, those x3dfx drivers were crazy man, best drivers ever made. I could literally change all the settings onnit. over 50 options to ultimately fry the vidcard with! w00t! :D

Yeah, I did the whole add/remove programs thing. Like I say though, this is extra frustrating cos the prescence of ATI drivers(if there are any) might NOT be causing this restart thing. I just think it's strange when I reverted to onboard graphics with the Radeon out, the comp restarted fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom