What is the most silent HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more a HDD can store the more noise it will generate when writing data and reading it. Especialy with the Maxtors. 40gb maxtor is quite while my 80gb maxtor is EXTREMLY loud, but heck my DVD drive makes a worse noise.

I have always used Seagate's. I currently have 3 in this system, and I can't hear any of them where I sit (less than 1 metre away)
although in my Lian-Li case they make a bit of noise due to vibrations, so I use rubber washers which I cut out myself, which completely stop the vibration noise.

Probably not, but I know that in all my HDD the range is from 20MB to 30GB my most noisy is the 20MB and the 80MB (the BIG old seagates) and my less noisy is the Quatum Maverick 270MB.

u have a seagate 160GB 7200 Rpm and i hardly ever hear it. Compared to some of my freinds HDs its very quite.

LoTeX said:
so an old 500mb drive would be really quiet and a new 400gb would make helluva noise?

It's the other way round for me. All my old drives, like 150-450MB ones, are much louder than the newer ones.

Better technology = quiter. If they made 500mb HDD's brand new still and you have a 400Gb HDD brand new chances are the 500mb would be very silent while the 400gb would be rather noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom