Win xp, will it erase??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do that. I had this issue whith someone else in your exact position. They had a Dell CD and a legitimate product key and wanted to install it on another machine. Just reassure the rep 9in a nice way) that this key is only being used on one machine, and you won't have any issues.

And I don't see anythign illeagal about borrowing an install CD from someone when you have a legit product key, especially with something such as XP that has a key system that actually works.

Here's what it looks like when I put the dell's CD thingy into this current computer (this current computer is neither the dell nor the one i am gonna build)

Ok, well I can't right click and save the screenshot, but heres a list of whats in there:

folder "$OEM$"
folder "I386"
folder "DOCS"
folder VALUEADD
folder "SUPPORT"
AUTORUN
README
SETUP
WIN51
WIN511C

Disc is entitled "XP2_PER_ENG"

When I click on setup, heres a list of what I can do:

Install Windows XP
Install Optional Windows Components
Perform Additional Tasks
Check System Compatability

Here is what someone else showed me, I assume a full win xp CD

that sounds about right.. but prob that $OEM$ may cause problems.. try it, they'll warn you early enough if it won't work :D

Alright, oh, one more quick noobie question.

If I get a 2nd harddrive, I can use it to put games and stuff on, and still play them, right?

LOL, dumb question, what else would it be for? lol :)

Heyyo,

I have 2 hd's myself.

First one is for oses. 1 partition winxppro, 1 partition fedora core 3.

2nd hd is just full of games n' apps. if my main hd fails? so what? reinstall an os or 2, not the end of the world for me. ;)

I'm sure it'll work with the oem key. I had an old compaq with a compaq oem of windows98se. Borrowed an win98se cd from a bud, used the compaq oem licence, and worked fine man. And compaq's more strict than dell I bet, so if I could pull it off? you can. To the computer: it doesn't care what cd you use man, as long as the licence is legal. That's all man. I ain't gonna tell you again.

Look, this is getting blown WAY out of proportion.

Either call Microsoft, or try the install yourself. What more do you want us to tell you?

We ain't doing nothing else till you make progress on one of those two paths. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yeah, I am. Sorry for all the trouble, I just plan on buying it.

Thread officially closed. (according to me :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom