AMD 64 Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar.Plexus

Solid State Member
I've had my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester (comes stock 1.8gHz) overclocked to 2.2gHz for a while now. The CPU temp remains steady around 43c. There's been no crashes, and so far I havn't had to increase the voltage above 1.45v. I want to overclock it to 2.4 or 2.5, is this pushing it too much?

Stats
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (stock 1.8gHz) w/ Winchester
ABIT AV8 K8T800P
1GB Kingston and PQi DDR
ATI RADEON 9600 256MB

You need to run prime95 for 24 hours to make sure it's 100% stable. I nor anyone else can tell you when you're pushing it to much, you can pretty much go as high as you want until temperature or stability becomes a factor.

I personally am not afraid to put as much as 1.9v through the core if need and if temperature allows it.

wat heatsink are you using? i agree with gara i dont mind pushing any amount of volts through my cpu as long as it stays under 50C The thing for me is that I want my cpu to memory ratio at 1:1. I know i can have my cpu at 280mhz but my memory doesnt like more than 260 so Ive left it running at 2.6gig

with the AMD64's "any amount of volts as long as it is cool" doesn't always apply.

You can fry the ondie memory controllers apparently....I had to ask some people at XS about that because I've seen some people freaking out about 1.85Vcore and now I know why.

I suppose of course if it's sub-ambient temps and/or subzero that may not apply, but then again, with those temps you'd hit the architectural limit before needing that much Vcore

Most AMD64s don't even need that much voltage anyways, usually 1.7v max basically before you hit the core architechture limit and rasing the vcore won't do anything anyways

Thanks guys, I'll keep it under 50C. But raising the voltage does serve a purpose, if you overclock the HTT rate and it crashes, incrementally raising the voltage will fix it (in my experience)

thanks again

mine is happy to do 2.7 stable but won't get to 2.8 with the 1.55 wich my mobo max's out at but thatss with stock cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom