Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am posting this for someone else, so I will quote.

i just built a new pc 2 days ago and last night i noticed there is this ZZzz sound coming from the motherboard. i listened to it. it seems like its coming around the chipset area, northbridge. i dont know if its the fan or not or if its normal or not normal so i need help and the motherboard is gigabyte k8nxp-sli

Any takers?

I would suspect a faulty fan. Have they tried with the CPU fan unplugged? THat would isolate the problem to the chipset fan. Also, make sure that all drives are unplugged to isolate them as well.

Yeah, if the Northbridge has a fan on it, disconnect the wire from the motherboard. This is a component that really isn't needed. It's more or less a novelty IMO. IF the sound stops, then you know it's the fan.

If the sound doesn't stop, then it could possible be a short somewhere in the motherboard. May-be a screw or metal shard somewhere creating a short. I left a screw in a case one time and it lodge itself between the motherboard and the case. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Thanks. I'll pass these two along.

If anyone else has any ideas, post 'em. If he has anything further, I'll post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom