XDR2 runs at 8GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
XDR2 memory interface is targeting apps that have tremendous memory bandwidth requirements, such as 3D graphics, advanced video imaging, and network routing and switching applications. XDR2 will work at 8GHz and above, which, in case of 16-bit interface provides 16GB/s bandwidth. By contrast, similar GDDR3 memory chip at 1.20GHz can pump up to 2.40GB of data per second.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20050707202113.html

Moore certainly would be proud of his law if he could see this. :D I can't see these being used in desktop motherboards or even servers for that matter as they'd cost wayyyy too much, however I could see a video card company switching from DDR to XDR and getting a massive performance increase. If 16 bit interface runs at 16GB/s shove it in a 256bit card and you've got 256GB/sec memory bandwidth.

Holy Piss!!!!!

The RAM in PS3s is XDR and runs at 3.2GHz, and I thought that was impressive!

I think the hard part would be finding something that needs that kind of bandwith

:wooha: :wooha: :wooha:

icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

8ghz...........

Think how expensive that would be. I hope they put it in the 8800's and Xi800

I hope they put that in my camera :p rofl

But seriously soon computers in the house will be so fast that the only limits to them will be the normal human brain. Only reason people would need faster ones is if there running hundreds of applications or massive massvie servers that are constantly working. lol

timmer said:
thats pretty sick now why dont we have processors at 8GHz?
I bet you could OC a P4 northwood to 8GHz with a lot of liquid nitrogen.

Highest I believe was fugger who only got 7.2GHz bios stable, I can't remember what core it was though or even if that has been topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom