r520 AND r580 expected within the next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
ATIÂ’s R520 and R530 visual processing units (VPUs) are expected to be positioned for the high-end market, whereas RV515 chip is likely to be aimed on the performance-mainstream market. Sometime in early 2006 ATIÂ’s high-end lineup is likely to be refreshed with code-named R580 graphics processor, which is more powerful than ATIÂ’s R520 GPU.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050707171934.html

Anyone who doubted ATI should really eat their words now, not only is the r520 coming in the next quarter, ATI pulled an ace out of their sleeves and announced an even more powerful GPU coming in early 2006. Anyone can do the math that nVidia has to pull some 7900 ultra out since the r520 is already more powerful than 7800GTX. nVidia may have been the first out of the gate but I must say I am impressed with ATIs hardwork as of late. I can pretty much assume the r580 will be a minimum of 40 pipes.

Please pardon my use of foul language, but holy sh1t!!! 40 pipes?!?!?!?!

I honestly don't know, it's just an educated guess with some binary arithmetic. It'll be faster than the r520 though, no doubt.

Isn't the rs520 supposed to come out on august? thats this quarter isn't it? I really want to see if this will drive down prices, not that I'll be getting a new video card anytime soon.

WOW....yeah, we are on the brink of another huge technological advancement in the gaming PC world.

I think I will hold off and build once the growth settles down a bit, like maybe next summer. Right now is definately not a good time to build because there are so many mind boggling advancements right around the corner.

My advice for anyone thats thinking about a build from scratch in this day and age, wait a few months, for this new technology to come out. You will regret it if you don't.

003 said:
Just like me :(

You have an awesome system. I wish I had your system. You are fine. I am referring to the people buying 7800GTXs...they are good cards, but are not a good investment.

40 pipes in insane. I might hold off building my new system for awhile. I'm wondering if i were to go crossfire, if i bought a new R520 and used it in single card config. Then later when the 580's come out, if i could then use it in crossfire as a master and the 520 as a slave? I'm not sure about the pipeline difference thought. I wonder if the 580 will only use 24 pipes when the 520 is used in crossfire? Anyone know?

Heyyo,

Havoc, for ati's crossfire, you need to have a norm vidcard, and a crossfire edition of another I believe. They're like 2 diff kindof cards. Now, they made the crossfire technology like ram to ensure compatibility: both vidcards will run only as fast as the slowest vidcard. So if you had right now let's say a x800 pro, and bought a x800 XT PE crossfire edition vidcard, they'd both only work as x800 pros. So yeah, you might wanna aim to try n' get a good slave card to compliment the crossfire edition for your future setup, just what I reccomend man.

Of course, with vidcards these strong, do ya think you'd really need crossfire in order to achieve uber high-quality gaming? exactly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom