Windows was unable to complete format

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurt'z

Beta member
Hi,

I have problem re-formatting my external usb laptop harddisk after deleting the partitions. Before deleting, the hdd is working fine and I even copied some of the files to my desktop hdd.

I can't format and the error was "Windows was unable to complete format". I even tried the quick format (NTFS) of XP and same error occurred.

Please help me to save my hdd :) Thanks!

you may need to add a partition, go to control panel, go to classic view if not already, go to admin tools, computer management go into disk management and right click the drive, click create partition, add drive letters and format that partition

I tried the partition, then format it to FAT32 and it works! But my idea of partitioning is to support both the FAT and NTFS and this was my hdd partition setup before, so I reformat the second partition to NTFS and the same error occurred "Windows was unable to complete format".

I'm happy that my hdd was recovered but still this a problem and maybe only formatting to NTFS seems to be the problem. Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks IBMan:)

what OS? Maybe the drive doesnt support NTFS? even tho I've never ran into that kinda problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom