neocamp22

Baseband Member
Building a new computer, need help

Here's what I got:

dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr atx amd mobo

either the am athlon 64 3800+ venice or the 4000+ san diego

Leadtek PX6800TDH Geforce 6800 256MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

seagate barracuda 7200.8 250gb 3.5" sata150 hd

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

thermaltake kandalf va9000swa silver case w/ side panel

thermaltake purepower w0023r 560w power supply

plus the soundcard, speakers, monitor, etc..

But I don't know what ram to use. Any suggestions? Should I use the ocz el platinum dfi nf4 special 1 gb (2 x 512 mb) 184-pin? Or something else? I'm gonna mainly be using this computer for gaming and OC'ing. All help appreciated.

The Rev2s are good for their price, I had mine running 250 pretty easily and I know they'd hit 280 with some tweaking. I am impressed with the tcc5 chips.

If money is no limit, G.Skill LAs are right down your alley and I can pretty well gurantee you they'll get to DDR600. For a cheaper alternative you can get some Mushkin Redlines or Twinmos BH-5 based stuff that'll get 270 easily enough.

I think I can do about $2000, but I'm not sure what I'm at now. Ill check later, and then see which of those rams will fit my budget.

It looks like without the monitor ,keyboard, and ram, it totals to 1,550. So assuming the monitor is 250 bucks, and the keyboard is about 50, that's about 1850. I think the most I'll ever need is 2 gigs, so I could get 2 sticks of 512, to take advantage of dual threading.

Not sure, but I think that with my budget constraints I'm going to have to get the 3800+. Also, what monitors do you recommend? I think that I'll have to go with a 12ms response time, and if I can find something under 250 I'll go with 8ms.

Looks like you are gettin quite a good system, make sure you don't cheap out on the RAM...RAM plays a big role...I would get the OCZ ELVX...

I was thinking either

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

or

OCZ Gold Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Gold Layered Copper Heatspreader

but I heard the first one needed some adjustments to the bios to get dual channel to work on the LanParty. Can anyone confirm that? Does the second one also need adjustments? And does anyone know the adjusments so I don't have to email dfi?

Edit: Does that monitor has a rather low contrast ratio? That was the reason I skipped over it when browsing newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom