CD-Rom not reading Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokeard311

Beta member
My CD-Rom mysteriously soppped reading discs for some reason with out any major change on my computer. I have tried everything to fix it...even takeing my computer apart. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but nothing. It is a Mitsumi CR-48X5TE and i have windows Xp:Home. I checked the porperties of the CD-Rom and it said that (F:\Windows\system32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys and F:\Windows\system32\gearaspiwdm.sys) arnt digatlly sighned...i dont know if that the problem, but i dont know how to change that anyways. If anyone knows the answer or is up for the challenge of finding the answer i would be very relieved...thank you.

Tokeard311

If you have had this problem...The loading light blicks quickly green, then when it is loading it keeps blinking orange...but never reads it...with all the cds i have tried. This is also a CD-writer and i have a seperate DVD rom. I am stumped

Try reading a disc in DOS (Not command prompt in Windows either)
If it dont work then I would say your CDRW is either dirty or just plain had it. (Try cleaning it)
If it works its good news and atleast you know its a software issue however, that might take alot of elimination on your part.

Does your DVD rom read discs ok? (Is it on the same IDE cable as the CDRW?)

I did try both of your suggestions and still it didnt want to work.
"Does your DVD rom read discs ok? (Is it on the same IDE cable as the CDRW?)" Im not sure but i dont think so but my DVD rom works fine. So im still lost.

Primary Master: Maxtor 98196H8-(PM)
Primary Slave:None
Second Master: CR-48X5TE
Second Slave: Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-116-(SS)

Should the Primary Slave be labeled as NONE?

Yes, provided you only have 1 hard disk, and the 2 cd drives then the slave will be listed as none.

It seems that they are sharing the same IDE cable .... and if your not having any problems with the dvd drive then I agree with RoyalW that its probably cooked. IF your really patient and want to look into things further, switch the dvd and cdrw around on the ribbon (ensuring u change the jumpers) to rule out any mainboard problem such as that ...

If it doesnt show up as reading a disk in dos [trusting you either used an old win98 bootdisk or have dos enabled drivers] then I think its pooped =/.

Yes it is. They are shareing the same IDE cable and i just tried switching them around but nothing...know any good CDRW that arnt expensive? Thanks for the help.

all cd-rw are cheap these days, and i mean dirt cheap, they cost about the same as a regular cd-rom without burning capabilities. today is the day after christmas go to your local best buy or circuit city for some insane deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom