Possible Video Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I have a ATI - Powercolor - 9800 video card.

I bought it refurbished off of newegg a year ago.

Immediately when I tested the video card, the S-Video out was not working. So, I assumed that was the reason why it was refurbished.

I was able to play any PC game without any problem on the PC. I was able to play WarCraft 3, FarCry and Doom 3 (on lower specs of course cuz doom 3 is a beast).

Two months in, I had problems playing video games. But at the same time, I had to replace the harddrive (I always assumed it was the harddrive).

I replaced the harddrive and I have never been able to play a PC game since. I obviously can't play Doom 3 and Far Cry, but I can't even get into past the main menu in War Craft (I would click single or multiplayer, I would hear the "chains" go up, screen goes black for two seconds, screen goes back to the main menu).
Really, the only thing I can do is play internet poker and watch movies on my computer.

Is this definitely the video card?

Is there any way for me to officially test it out?

... This is definitely the last time I buy a refurbished video card.

I ran the benchmark program and it failed on the very first test:

HDD - XP Startup Test failed

So, bad harddrive perhaps?

I'm stuck at work right now behind a proxy, so I can't tell you with the most confidence at the moment, but I believe it was a 11 step test PCMark05.

The very first step was HDD XP Start-up Test. It ran through this first test and failed; exitting the program (that was the only test it did).

I'll be able to tell youf or sure what test it was this evening (US Eastern time).

I did run PC Mark 05.

I reinstalled my drivers. It ran the test without failure

Here is an image of the results:

All of this is foreign to me, so is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I'll download and run the test now. We basically have the same systems. So it will be a got to compare.

Although, this is on a PC that I built for my brother (not actually my own). The specs are almost identical though:

2.8 P4 w/ HT
ATI 9800 SE.

I know that the special editions of ATI stink, but I got it for a really low price at the time.

Thanks for spending the time to test your own system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom