Newbie Question: 64Bit Processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecknoholic

Solid State Member
Hi, forgive my extreme noobness but I assume a 64-Bit Processor can run a normal 32-Bit version of Windows as an OS; it's Windows 64 Bit Edition that's famous for its incompatibilities, correct?

Yes, 64 bit Processors can run 32 bit Programs and Operating systems. However you do get a performance increase by running 64bit Os, Drivers, Programs etc. Since Windows XP-64 is really screwy, stay with 32 bit for now.

There is currently only one 64 bit processor known to man. It is the Intel Itium. However, it does not operate because no man can write code for it. All the "64 bit processor's are actually 48 bit"

:cool:

Uhhh.... not quite.

The reason nobody can write code for the Itanium is because there are no good optimizing compilers out there that can do the neccesary code scheduling to take advantage of the VLIW architecture that the Itanium uses.

The 48 bit thing you are referring to I believe is actually 40 bit, and that refers to how much physical memory a processor can address. 2^64 can address an impossibly large amount of data. In fact, I read once that this can address more memory addresses than there are particles in the universe, or some such unbelievable number.

The 64-bit thing actually comes into play in that they actually CAN accept 64 bit instructions. That means MUCH larger data types (32 bit integers, etc) can be moved into the CPU much faster or in parallel.

IBM is actually about to release/announce their 64 chip tomorrow i think for their PC line. So AMD won't be the only one now.

-Aaron

TheHeadFL said:
Don't forget Intel has 64 bit also in the form of EM64T

EM64T? Why aren't they advertising it?

Anyway IBM has had a 64 bit chip out for a while for their mainframes (i actually think they are almost ready to release their 128 bit chip) but they are now releasing their 64 chip for their X Series (what they call their desktop and laptop series) Computers. Which is why i don't know why apple switched to Intel (IBM is a better manufacuter of chips). I know its a little off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom