Win XP x64 Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar.Plexus

Solid State Member
I have an AMD 64, so I recently installed WinXP x64 on a machine to test it out. I installed a few things with no problem, but then I tried to install my RADEON drivers and it just wouldn't do it. I understand there is a 32-bit application compatibility issue with x64, but what's the problem here? Is there a way for this and other things to cooperate with x64? Thanks, enlighten me

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.2gHz
ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB
1GB KINGSTON and PQi DDR
160GB Western Digital Ultra ATA
on
ABIT AV8 K8T800P

ATI support for Windows x64 is still in "BETA" according to their site.

You need to go to their site to download the beta Windows XP Pro x64/Server 2003 x64 drivers. You cannot use ANY 32 bit drivers. At all. Not even for a joystick or a printer.

But it isn't all bad. I'm running it now, and loving every minute of it. Loads up lightning fast, stable as a rock, low resource utilization.

Works perfect with my GeForce 6600GT, SB Audigy2 ZS... also got a ton of USB stuff on there... APC BackUPS 1500VA works over USB... Logitech USB microphone works... Logitech Wingman Force 3d joystick works... any kind of generic USB thumb drives or whatnot will also work fine.

In fact so far the only things I own that are totally incompatible are my ATI TV Card (which as far as I know they will never support) and my Samsung printer (which is going to get support soon according to Samsung).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom