Static/Grounding....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDGreen92086

In Runtime
Okay, I ordered my parts earlier today(in profile btw), and they should be arriving within a few days. I know static electricity discharges can damage and fry components rendering them useless. I need to know what I can do to ground myself, the parts, or whatever. I don't want anything to fry.

I've heard about anti static wristbands once on the forum, and I'm wondering if I could get them at like Wal Mart, Circuit City, or some other stores. I would have just gone to one of these places, but they are about 30-40 miles away.

Anyway.... any helpful information?

Static wristbands are very simple devices. Get some alunimum foil (or other conductive material, and some wire. Secure the wire (with a stripped end of course) to the foil and secure the foil to your wrist. Then take the other end of the wire and do the following:
1.)on an outlet, back out the faceplate screw a little
2.)strip the other end of the wire, and wrap the conductor around this screw a couple of times, taking care to avoid putting it in any of the 120V sockets
3.) screw it back in, and go to work

Other helpful tips:
>If you dont want to go through that hassle, touch that screw before touching anythign else, and touch it periodically while you work
>Work on a bare wooden floor in bare feet in a T-shirt (clothing can build up charge)

BUT: DO NOT do any of this unless osmeone else verifies it. I am not responsible for anything I said here (ie use at your own risk)

Also if you have another computer, touching the PSU will ground you out as well.

EDIT: and wash and thoughly dry your hands. Just a common precaution I would take against "foreign contamination"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom