Real Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let me get this straight because I'm heading over to my local tech store.

Shopping List:
analog audio cables and digital audio cables
or
just analog audio cables.

Basically do i need to get both analog and digital?

You don't need either. I don't understand where that idea came from. The cables in that picture are an IDE and a 4-pin for the CD-in.

I have no idea what Mard was looking at. Whatever orange cable he was referring to is a SATA cable.

I opened up my motherboard last night and I didn't see any 4-pin cables for the CD-in.
I ordered a OEM DVD burner and a OEM DVD-Rom. Does that mean that I need more than the one IDE cable that comes with the mobo? I think I have to go buy audio cables: analog or digital or both?

Are you using onboard audio or a sound card? The CD-in should be on the motherboard if you have onboard audio. Otherwise, it should be on the sound card.

You will need one IDE cable PER IDE device. So if you have two optical drives (usually connects via IDE), you will need an additional IDE cable since your motherboard only comes with one.

What do you need audio cables for? Does your audio device even have a digital or analog out? If you only have a mini, it won't matter anyway. You still have to explain what these audio cables are for. If you're still talking about the CD-in, that's completely different from digital/analog connections. You would only be using those if you are hooking it up to a surround sound system.

What I am wondering is if I need to buy anything extra?

I was looking at the Samsung DVD writer Retail and it comes with this . Do I need those cables to install this in my new PC or do I just need the IDE cable?

The two cables in that picture are an IDE and a 4-pin CD-in cable. There is NO ANALOG OR DIGITAL cable and you don't need any.

All you need is an IDE cable which comes with your motherboard. Therefore, you don't need to buy anything extra.

If you're using more than one IDE device, you're going to need more IDE cables. Your motherboard only comes with one IDE cable.

There is NO NEED for any sort of analog or digital cable. I'm still incredibly confused as to why MarD brought it up in the first place.

Calzinger, I wanted to thank you for answering all my questions thoroughly.

I just wanted to make sure I got this right:
All I need is an extra IDE cable and 4-pin CD-in cables.
I got the OEM version, so I didn't get what came in that picture.
My motherboard only came with one IDE cable and all the rest of the stuff is SATA related.
Is all this right? Please correct me if I messed up anything.

For your DVD drive, all you NEED is an IDE cable. I also bought an OEM DVD burner and just connected it via IDE cable. That 4-pin CD-in cable is unnecessary.

The DVD burner only needs one IDE cable.
How about the other OEM DVD-rom I bought? Do I need an audio cable for it?
Doesn't the DVD burner need to be conencted to an audio cable for it to play music CDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom