LCD Monitors - need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfboy7

Beta member
Hello,

I need a little help please.

I'm getting ready to purchase an LCD monitor that will be used heavily in gaming. Both RTS games and FPS games. I am a bit worried about this so-called "ghosting" effect that I have read about.

I know the 'pixel refresh time' has a lot to do with it...such as 15 Milliseconds is good...25 is not so good...meaning the lower the time the better. How much of a concern is this?

Also, how about this so called 'contrast ratio?' is 500:1 good? 400:1? or should i be looing at a minimum of 600:1?

CAn anyone help me by pointing out what to look for in a good LCD monitor. I'm looking at 19+ inch viewable. and I can spend up too $1000 so pretty much anything is in my range...I do however like a bargain, as long as it doesn't sacrifice performance too much.

Thank you in advance,

golfboy7

16 MS is a good response time (the lower the better). Most gamers say this is adequate to prevent ghosting and tearing. You will have to look around for some good models in 19" with a 16 MS, but there are some good ones out there.

As for contrast ratio, 500:1 or higher is best. Lower ratios cause darker shades to be displayed as black, which is not good for gaming.

If your graphics card supports it, you'll want to make sure the monitor has a digital interface (DVI).

Make sure that the LCD's native resolution is the res. you want to use, since the image will not look as good at other resolutions.

thank you for the information.

tell me...some monitors do not list their pixel refresh rate (ie. 25 or less milliseconds) on the web....is there any website that gives the full specifications for each monitor?

thanks again.

golfboy7

If they don't list it on the manufactures site, I'd stay away from it. There is probably a reason why they don't want to advertise the response time.

If you are browsing through a retail site, and they don't have the specs. then you may want to copy the model number and paste it into the search box on google, and see what comes up. Some retail sites do a better job than others, when it comes to displaying full specs for their merchandise.

thanks for the help man.

All sites I have checked so far have most of the specs listed. However the one spec that seems to be missing even from the Dell and Gateway websites is the Pixel Response Time. I just wanted to know where I could find this....i'll check google now.

thanks again,

golfboy7

Try this site. It does a great job reviewing all kinds of hardware including LCD monitors . The link I've supplied should take you to the Displays section. I'm also in search of a good LCD monitor for gaming but still remain unconvinced that I will end up preferring an LCD over a good quality CRT.

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom