Choppy Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1chmonkey

Beta member
I'm hoping someone can help, I haven't been able to determine much as of yet.

While playing the Dawn of War game (PC version), I get quite a bit of sound chopping, especially during cinema sequences. Since I am work, I dont have my dxdiag spaces or warning logos with me, but you can view them here: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=67477

I have a Powerspec 8822

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.53GHz
System Board: FIC VI-39L
System Memory: 512MB DDR266 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM
Hard Drive: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
CD-RW Drive: LiteOn 52x24x52x CD-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive: 16x DVD-ROM Drive - LTN-163
Video: Integrated SiS 651 VGA Chipset; open AGP slot
Sound: Integrated AC'97 Audio CODEC

The computer is stock, other than the ATI Radeon 9550 that I just installed.

I have updated the sound drivers and have looked at tasks running in the background, but cant determine what might be the power culprit.

My questions are this~
1) Will getting a new sound card eliminate the problem?
2) If so, how do I disable the onboard one?
3) Is this maybe a power issue? I have the supply that came with the computer, it's basic I'm sure.

It looks like your integrated video isn't powerful enough to run the game. The system requirements say:
" DirectX 9.0b compatible AGP video card with Hardware Transform and
Lighting and 32MB of Video RAM"
It recommends a geforce3/radeon 8500. If possible try getting a hold of a geforce fx card or Radeon 9xxx series card, even if it's a cheap on it will work.

Thanks Jorsoft. I think the DirectX issue was already solved, with the addition of an ATI Radeon 9550. I am currently running 9.0c.

The game recommends a 16 bit sound, I think mine is 18 bit (based on manufacturer specs). Other than that, everything else in my system is well above recommended levels for the game, I believe.

I have also turned the hardware acceleration down to "basic" and set the in-game options to eliminate shadows (seems to be a culprit in other cases I have read).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom