Random computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
*nods* Sounds good. Any idea how much of a dab to use for copper based TG? I have that on my processor right now and I'm thinking I may have too much, hence the high temps.

if its themal paste material. i would have to guess the same amount as AS5. because you wont the metal surfaces as close to each other as possible, touching each other... the paste just fills in the microscopic gaps between them.

OKay, I think I may have found the root of the problem: Heat

I was stress testing my comp using Prime95 (thank you jolancer) and set the time for about an hour, just for a small test.

Went downstairs for a bit and left the comp to do it's thing. Before I left, I noticed the temps going above 70C (around 75-78 every now and then) I left and returned after about a half hour - 45 mins or so. I came to my screen saver and moved the mouse. Nothing. Looked at the hard drive light, nothing. Conclusion: Frozen.

I know that many sensors cause the computer to shut down if the limit has been reached, I am beginning to think mine locks up. It would make sense only because the test was running and the temps were getting kind of high. So it seems almost logical for this to be the reason for my lock ups.

What do you all think? Does it sound possible?

if you can recreat the problem by running prime95. it most likely is a heat problem. especially since your temps read out over 70c at that point.

when i ran prime 95 on a few systems.... i noticed it made the temps rise about 2 to 4c hotter then running any game. so its a realy good heat tester.

Okay. Ran the test for about 2 hours, passed all tests. Max temp went up to around *yikes* 81C. However, it reported no errors.

With the internet running (and background processes of course) I am getting an average of 54C.

I know now that I DO need some more cooling. It was almost definite at first but this seals it.

It seemed to never go above 81C and with each test it remained pretty much the same (alternating between 74 and 78C)

My question now is: How long should I let the test go for for the best results? Or does it not matter?

If you have MBM 5 running at the same time, you dont even need to watch the temps if you dont wont, when you comback, the High temp will be logged in MBM5's high/low chart in its program settings.

Prime95 is sorta like the Memtest86, it just keeps running till you stop it. once you fix the heat issue, just run it fora few hrs or overnight if you like. and c if it over heats or errors.

my socket478 intel came with a copper core HSF and aluminum fins, did yours come with the same one? linked a pic of the HSF bellow...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v646/jolancer/?action=view&current=Intel.jpg

the stock HSF shown above, worked pritty well for me.

i dont havea clue how that one you bought may perform. but i do know this... i bought a HSF b4 that had a small fast rpm 70mm fan exactly like that, and its kind of loud. much louder then the stock intel hsf shown above.

Nope. I believe it's all aluminum. Then again I could be wrong.

The fans I have going in my room all the time are kind of loud so it kind of drowns the sound out. Sound isn't an issue :D :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom