laptop video chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
What are some good chipsets for video on laptops. i will list a few and tell me what games they can run. Raven shield. doom3. hl:2 ,CS:S. BF2,. decent games without lag caused by video card.

256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600- Good bad Ugly?? decent games?

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900_
Good bad Ugly?? decent games?

128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
Includes a 6-in-1 media card reader, ExpressCard54 card slot, IEEE 1394 digital video port, and conveninent Quick Launch buttons

Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Intel Extreme Graphics
Pentium M configurations include productivity ports

or is there a way to put a card in certain laptops? i think it is possible but im not sure where i saw it.

Also i just looked for these on hp.com but i didnt see any nvidea chips so if u wanna u can list or mention them TY!!

yea but that dont answer my query for a laptop with one of those cards in it is at least 1500 if not more much more

Heyyo,

No worries, ThE_MarD's hea to help. :)

timmer said:
What are some good chipsets for video on laptops. i will list a few and tell me what games they can run. Raven shield. doom3. hl:2 ,CS:S. BF2,. decent games without lag caused by video card.

256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600- Good bad Ugly?? decent games?
I bet this is one of the best intergrated vidcard you can get onna laptop for now. an x600 can crank out some pretty good visuals and get a pretty decent framerate.

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900_
Now THIS, will suck ass. Intel's intergrated graphics cards aren't very good at all, it doesn't do any Pixel Shaders (at least the one's I've seen) and are pretty much there for those who want a laptop for study or work.

128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
Includes a 6-in-1 media card reader, ExpressCard54 card slot, IEEE 1394 digital video port, and conveninent Quick Launch buttons
now this one sounds kindof like a portable all in wonder intergrated graphics card (remember, you can't "snap in" vidcards like a desktop computer... well, unless you have a kickass alienware laptop, lol, they're insane! they actually have an x8 agp slot! w00t!) so I would say the x600 is still better.

Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Ok, after school I was gonna go for some subway.. but I think I just lost my apetitie after seeing this, lol. this "extreme" intergrated graphics card is extremely ghey!!1! lol.

Intel Extreme Graphics
Pentium M configurations include productivity ports
I had reese's puffs for breakfast... after reading this I felt it come up my throat a little, and I had to swallow it back down. This can't run BF2, BF1942 BARELY runs, it has no pixel shaders, so this intergrated graphics card can't even run Lego Star wars! pwned soo harshly. It'll run Hl1 and CS ok.. but low rez. I think the best game I got working on this was SWBattlefront. It ran.. on the lowest graphics settings.

or is there a way to put a card in certain laptops? i think it is possible but im not sure where i saw it.
Alienware man, alienware. I seriously saw one that had an x8 agp slot.. I'll dig up a link.. Alienware is aka as overpricedware since their desktop solutions have a crazy price, but that's mainly since they have a kickass custom case n' mouse n' monitor. so yeah, just like nike, when you buy alienware you're dishing out a lot of cash for the brandname.

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all_default.aspx

heh, nice, these ones have PCI-Express slots I think.. it doesn't say exactly, but it did say geforce go.. which is their laptop vidcards.. so maybe it's intergrated...

Also i just looked for these on hp.com but i didnt see any nvidea chips so if u wanna u can list or mention them TY!!
Yeah, just look at the alienware ones. I think HP has a bargain with ati.. well, I know compaq does, and Hp owns compaq.

I would say the X600 is reasonably good. I know there are some laptops out there with a 6800 go ultra (a freind is getting one 3k!!). I know someone that has a laptop with a 9700 (128mb) and it runs BF1942, Farcry, UT2k4, ect very well. He can even run BF at his LCDs native res of 1400x1050! Look on Asus's site. I have seen notebooks there with 6600gts for around your price range, but they have widescreens. WTF! a laptop with a GAMING video card and a widescreen? Makes no sense.

x600 is really good, for your price range, and the x200 certainly isn't bad. The geforce fx 5700 and 6600 run doom3 without a hitch, so that's always nice. I won't even think about the Intel ones (LMAO off ThE_MarD :p ).
As far as switching out graphics, Alienwares allow you to do this *very* easily. Other laptops are simply integrated into the mobo (usually indicated by the word "integrated" somewhere in the description). And then some laptops have small daughter boards that serve as graphics cards that can be removed and replaced. One example of this is my Inspiron 8100. It already has a mighty 16mb Geforce2Go, but I am in the process of upgrading it to a 64/32 mb Geforce4 440 go, just have to find one for cheap enough ;)

ATI performance in Doom 3 is less than stellar unless you have an X800. Even then as some owners here will atest they run horribly slower than their Nvidia counterparts. But a X600 should run HL2 fine.

The other posters are correct when they say that anything with "Intel" and a GPU is absolute turd.

The best GPUs I have seen for a laptop are the X800XT and Go 6800. Both of those would run Doom 3 and HL2 fine.

I don't know about BF2 but a X600 should give you at least 40 fps on HL2, 1024*768, max everything assuming you have a good CPU and 1 GB RAM.

For Doom 3, at least 20 fps on high same resolution no AA and AF.

Both should be playable but I reckon you might have to play Doom 3 on medium.

LOL Dell laptops. I wanted to upgrade my 4100s card, which I had researched and found it to have one of the daughter card setups, but the sales person didn't beleive me. Said it would cost be $800 for a new mobo with what I wanted on it. So I gave up, briefly though about upgragin gthe ram, saw that would cost over $300, and thus promptly bought a new desktop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom