win XP keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnegg12

Baseband Member
Hi guys.
When I go to shutdown windows it keeps restarting instead of shutting down. I clicked off 'restart automatically' in the system settings but then i get a blue screen at shutdown. Help!

Hmmm... First of all, did you build the PC yourself? because I've seen something similar happen when the Motherboard wires weren't connected right. Also, when did it start doing it? Recently, or as it always done it? Thridly, did you add any new software or patches?

No its a brand new pc, well a few months old. I have installed and removed a few programmes since then. Heard that roxio causes this problem but i dont have that. It started about 3 weeks ago. Cheers

What are some of the other programs you have installed or uninstalled recently. It could be a number of programs that have caused this, due to the fact they mess with the registry. You could try a demo of registry mechanic and fix a few problems and that might help. But without a list or idea of what you run or uninstalled recently i cant give a definate answer.

Or you can try glarysoft registry repair. It works better than registry mechanic as i just found out.

Also do START>RUN>MSCONFIG...then click the startup tab. Make sure you only have running at startup what you want running. When new programs are installed sometimes they try to auto run or have things that run in the background. just make sure that everything that loads up is what you want. It might be trying to load things that you already uninstalled but it never took them off your startup. The last thing i can think of is to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the processes tab and make sure that they are all are what you want running. If there is something like a virus or spyware it would be running also. Ifyour not sure you can always google them and get a description of what the process is that is running. That might help from future freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom