DVD drive 'incompatible'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
My Sony DVD-ROM drive stopped working last week, which I'm pretty sure was as a result of coins being in there that messed with the reader. Don't even ask, I have a 2-year old son :) Anyway, I bought a new one, which I thought was exactly the same one as I made sure to get one with the exact same model number. So it arrived today and looks pretty much exactly the same except it is ever so slightly longer and has a different model number. Apart from that though, it looks exactly the same so I would have thought I'd have no issues with compatibility.

I put the new one in and connected it up etc but when booting up I got 3 beeps and an error message something like "AUTI incompatible". Might not have been that exact message but it was something along those lines. I put this new one in the same way as the old one was, which was by connecting the DC input to it and the interface connector to it. Do I have to get into the BIOS to change something? Or is there a chance this DVD drive simply ISN'T compatible? Seems ridiculous to me but I've had so many problems with this computer it wouldn't suprise me. All help much appreciated.

yeah, in addition to what apokalipse said the message you would have recieved would have been something along the lines of "***** ***** drive ATAPI incompatable" the stars just define where the drive is located. make sure that the ide cable is attached the correct way. the red wire on the ribbon cable should be nearest the power cable. try running autodetect in the BIOS

On the old drive ther is a small piece of plastic and prongs set into the slave position. On the new drive that same piece of plastic and prongs is set to the master position. I haven't done anything to the cables, they remain exactly the same as when I took the old one out. Should I move the small piece on the new drive to the slave position? Not sure if this will do anything, because that part of the drive was not plugged into anything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom