Status
Not open for further replies.

TomGillespie

Solid State Member
Here's the basic spec of the pc I've just built-

XFX NForce 2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Maxtor 2g. HDD

Now, in addition to that, I've installed the floppy disk drive and a CD drive from an older win 95 machine (until my dvdr arrives)

First problem is, when I boot up, the computer hangs on the 'Detecting IDE drives' prompt- To continue, I have to eject the CD draw, at which point it recognizes the drive (and it correctly assigns it to IDE2.)

My Floppy drive does not detect at all, and as a result I can't install any software.

Have standards changed in terms of CD and floppy drives? I assumed they would work, but it seems to much of a coincidence that the only two old parts on the whole machine are the ones that play up.

Secondly, my processor.
First time I booted it, it correctly identified it as an Athlon XP 2600.
However now, every time I boot up, it only detects it as a Athlon 1150.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

I was just waiting for the first xmas blues, lol

If you reset your pc during this time, does it see everything very fast?

Can you give me the position of you hard drives and CD/DVD drives (Primary Master/Slave, Secondery Master/slave)

I think your probleme is the fact you have put a H/drive and a cd drive on the same channel, witch means the IDE detection works at the cd drive's speed; witch is much slower than the H/drive

Try putting your H/drive on the Primary Master

And you put your cd rom on the Secondery Master

Now for the CPU probleme:

It is really simple,

Athlon XP 2600+ Model 10 1917Mhz 333Mhz Barton

If you divide 1917 by 166 you find the multiplier = 11.5

100 x 11.5=1150 meaning your fsb (front side bus) is set at 100Mhz and should be set at 166Mhz.

You will change the fsb either in bios or with a jumper on the motherboard.

Read the manual that came with the motherboard...it'll tell you how.

Why did it pop up this way?

Board manufacturers do this to insure the board will work with any AMD processor.

Thanks, I'm back up to 2600!

As for the first problem, my HDD is on primary master, and I've tried the CD on Primary slave and Secondary master, and tried using both on cable select.

And yes, I've been carefull with my jumper caps!

Fingers crossed maplins will be open tomorrow, so I can get a new floppy and DVD to try!

Just leave the HDD on Pri Master, and Put your CD on Sec Master, and the detection speed will be better

Make sure for the Floppy, that seeing there is no casing around the rods, that it is centered, and that it isn't upside down,

The thing is- it isn't detecting them slowly, it's just not detecting them at all!

The longest I left it was about 12 minutes, at which point I ejected the CD and it found it!

But the floppy completely baffles me, I've checked all sorts on it and there's no sign of it what so ever- the light comes on constantly, but it will not be detected at all, and if I set it up manually in the BIOS, I get 'Floppy Device (40)' or something similar.
What exactly do you mean by centered?

Thanks for your help!

OK, I've done some quick tests with the old pc that the floppy came from-

1. Floppy in new pc with new cable - light stays on.
  2. Floppy in old pc with old cable - works fine
  3. Old cable will not fit in new pc due to pin arrangement
  4. Floppy in old pc with new cable - Doesn't work!!
    [/list=1]

I've tried all of these tests a few times with the plugs turned round etc.

To me, this would suggest that my new cable is faulty... does that sound right?????:eek: :eek:

is there a CD in the drive? it may be trying to determine if the CD can be booted from, but hanging.

as for your floppy drive, it sounds like you are using some old floppy drive since your cable doesn't even fit into the new motherboard floppy controller. buy a new 3.5inch floppy drive. possibley you are using something other than a standard floppy drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom