ATI 9800pro VERY low fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecknoholic

Solid State Member
I don't know what is the deal but I always assumed that my graphics card was operating within acceptable FPS ranges until I did a benchmark test and saw that I was getting about half the fps compared to average users. It's an authentic ATI Radeon and I'm completely at a loss. Like with CS:S/Halflife 2 with medium settings and no AA/AF I average about 20-25 fps.

-No spyware, viruses, background apps
-Current driver updates

AMD Athlon XP 2600
1024 MB RAM
120gb Harddrive
Ati Radeon 9800pro (5.6 Cat Driver)
Windows XP SP2

Source is very CPU and RAM demanding.

Rollback your drivers to Cat 5.1 or 4.12. Cat 5.6 results in sluggish performance in Source games for many ATI users.

Try Omega drivers. For gaming those are better.

Try the Omega drivers their pretty nice. Also open up Powerstrip and see if your clock settings are about right i think its something around 300/600 or so. Idk I OCed mine to XT speeds cus it has the R360 core.

Thanks guys. I tried the Omega driver but it only boosted me a couple of FPS. My OC settings are 383/341, I let the program discover the maxes. Although I found out that my power supply is only 250watts, could that be what's affecting the performance? If it wasn't enough, wouldn't the card cease to function? I get low relatively low FPS on all the game's I've played, not just on Source.

Thanks in advance

how much do you have your pagefile memory set to? I've noticed that i need a pretty large pagefile memory to get decent performance in benchmarks. And the PSU might give some problems.

That PSU could affect performance. Minimum PSU required based on the PSU calculator was 222watts and thats just the Ram, processor, video card. I didnt add anything else like cd-rom or floppy or anything else that could be using power. Your straining your system with that PSU!!

yea that cpu is SLOW!!! upgrade that ull see a big jump and also if thats no namer ram witch i hink it is cause u didnt list the names lol get some good stuff ull be really good. Thats a pretty good card

what is your Aperture Size, AGP speed, Fast Writes set to?

i have mine at...

256mb
AGP 8X
Fast Writes OFF
Cat 5.4 (the 5.6 aren't impressing me either) just install the driver without the Control Center...and see if that helps.

like previous posters have mentioned.....your CPU could use an update if you're willing.

if you still notice some problems...try to lower the aperture to 128mb

and AGP to 4X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom