Game/Video/Music 1st Computer Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebee123

Baseband Member
I am preparing to build my 1st computer and wondered if I could get some input. I haven't purchased all the parts but have some and are as follows:
purchased a
*Intel P4 3.2Ghz CPU 1MB L2 HT 540 series Socket 775 Land Package processor
*Plextor PX-716SA SATA 8MB 16X DVD±R 6X DVD-DL Burner
*Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 THX Sound Card
*INTEL P4 LGA775 CPU Heatsink & Fan
*ATI Remote Wonder II PC Remote Control

Not purchase but am considering are:
*Two- Seagate Barracuda SATA 200GB 8MB HARD DRIVES 7200 RPM
*6600 GT Video Card
*Case w/450w+ PS
*1GB DDR or DDR2 (depending on mobo)
I realize I probably skipped a crucial step in choosing my soundcard before a mobo because I think I might be changing my mind. The original mombo I had in mind was:
*ASUS P5GD1 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915P ATX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131503

Due to the Raid Matrix option and 1066 FSB for potential upgrade I am now considering the:
*ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P BOARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131538
Or
*ASUS P5AD2-E PREMIUM 925XE 755 Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131516R (not refurbished though)

I want this computer to perform well with games, movies and music videos. Does this look to be a good setup? Are there better options I am overlooking (especially the mobo)?
Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

davebee123

maybe up the vid card

i would go for a 6800gt

and the cpu isnt the best for games
but will do well with multitasking

get some decent pc3200
try latencies of 2-3-3-6
but dont spend more than 150 bucks for a gig

Don't forget a decent PSU... forget the one that comes with the case. I made the mistake of using a POWMAX (450w) a friend had given me.l.. Let's just say... it SUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!!! get a decent one... I have a thermaltake 480W righ now... works just fine. Your soundcard isn't that big a deal unless your going to get into some serious music / video editing... Most mobo's now have pretty decent built-in audio... in my humble opinion... video / ram / cooling. In that order.

Nuke(m)

Thanks for the replies. Can U tell me what makes this CPU not so good for games? I thought a P4 3.2 w 800Mhz FSB of any sort would be good. So should I ditch the sound card and use the onboard? Why would U pick the second mobo? Just tryin to pick up pointers here and make this as good as I can.
Thanks again for all your help!

davebee123

an Intel P4 3.2GHz is a good CPU, but AMD'S are better for games, and intels for programs and applications (such as photoshop)

If you want a gaming rig, try dfi lanparty and san diego or venice core, either fx55 and up or 3500+ and up. And i you do go amd don't get dual core, at this point not enough programs and games take advantage of it, and it costs a ton. I think that the video card is fine, but if you want to be future ready, get the dfi lanparty with sli, or something like the asus a8n-sli, and get the 6600gt w/ sli.

Bah, dude, don't worry about the processor. It is true that AMD chips perform slightly better at games, but it is not that big of a deal. Video card is way more important, and the Intel will perform slightly better at the music and video stuff so its a wash.

I have the P5AD2-E PREMIUM mobo and it is great, havn't had one problem with it. You will need DDR2 RAM with this board. I would just get some DDR2 533 value RAM if you are not OC'ing.

I do agree that you should definately get a seperate power supply, the one's that come with the cases suck. Pick up a good one for about $70 or so.

One other thing you might want to consider is getting an aftermarket HSF. Some of the new Intel's will run really hot with the stock HSF, but others are fine.

Thanks for the feedback.
So if I have only 1 PCI E x16 slot and link another card in the future will the second card perform the same in a PCI E x1 slot? Is that how it works? Is there a difference in slots? Is this (SLI) a highly important feature for future upgradability?

davebee123

SLI is basically the ability to put 2 videa cards in one rig. You then bridge them, and they dual process the data, alternating lines, making the graphics more than twice as good as one card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom